One is laid-back, the other more fiery, according to their coach.
Athletes of the Week
When Aayanni Hudson approached New Castle High girls basketball coach Kara DiNardo-Joseph about singing the National Anthem on Senior Night last week, the coach hesitated.
New Castle's Isaiah Boice dribbles up the floor during a home game against Blackhawk.
If you haven’t seen Isaiah Boice play for the New Castle High boys basketball team yet, Ralph Blundo says you’re missing out.
There is good and bad to being the child of a coach.
Karly McCutcheon has battled back from injuries to lead Mohawk High’s soaring girls basketball team.
Mohawk High girls basketball star Karly McCutcheon missed most of last season and a portion of this one with injuries.
Laurel High’s Mitch Miles and Ellwood City Lincoln High’s Austin Walley made a huge statement over the weekend.
Nadia Lape has talent. About that there is no doubt.
It was a great week for Laurel High basketball standout Luke Barker.
Junior Sheldon Cox had a career week for the New Castle High basketball team last week.
New Castle High basketball coach Ralph Blundo has watched Sheldon Cox’s steady growth in recent years.
Conner McBeth and Zachary Bell both are state medalist swimmers.
When the lights shined brightest, Neshannock High’s Neleh Nogay was there to answer the call.
Lawrence County basketball fans in attendance Saturday afternoon turned the Petersen Events Center red — first for the Neshannock High girls and then for the New Castle High boys.
Bella Burrelli almost decided against playing basketball this season.
In the hallway leading to Laurel High School’s gymnasium is a black letter board adorned with all the girls basketball team school records.
Colin McQuiston is a lot of things at Shenango High School.
Lindsay Frabotta has done a lot for the New Castle High girls basketball program.
Neshannock’s Brie Dean hadn’t hit a game-winning shot since junior high.
There have been quite a few outstanding shooters to come through Union High School.
When New Castle took the floor on opening night for its annual tipoff tournament, fans in the Ne-Ca-Hi Field House couldn’t be faulted for taking a few second looks at this year’s roster.
Carlee Stelter’s confidence never wavered.
The clock is ticking on Georgie Eggleston’s boys basketball career at New Castle High.
There not much doubt who the best player on the court is night after night for the Ellwood City Lincoln boys basketball team.
Katie Hahn has been the star of the show for the Wilmington High girls basketball team this season.
Neshannock High basketball player Jake McCormick certainly stands out in a crowd.
- Golub's Golden Eagle goal: Continue successful tradition
- 12 girls in running for athlete of year award
- Mancino resigns as Kennedy Catholic boys coach
- Shimrack named Wilmington boys basketball coach
- News to show another classic 'Canes game
- Local teams on the move in WPIAL basketball section realignment
- The list of the best high school basketball players in Lawrence County starting in 1990 was led by a guy in a class by himself -- David Young
- Hickory's Whitehead, Mele Class 4A All-State selections
- Mohawk's McCutcheon makes all-state team
- Pandemic pulls plug on high school all-star basketball games
- ALL-STARS | New Castle's Wells a dominant force on Section 2-4A first team
- Lady 'Canes' Aayanni Hudson claims first-team accolade
- ALL-STARS | Lincoln Park trio pace Section 1-3A all-section boys team
- ALL-STARS | McCutcheon, O'Lare the leaders of the pack in Section 1
- WVU's Tshiebwe to go through NBA draft process
- PIAA makes it official, cancels remaining winter, spring championships
- ALL-STARS | Laurel High freshman Atkins earns first-team accolade
- ALL-STARS | McQuiston, Haswell, Barker claim first-team recognition
- ALL-STARS | Cornell, Vincentian pace WPIAL Section 1-1A
- ALL- STARS | Hauser, Robison pace Rochester to WPIAL Section 1-1A crown
- ALL-STARS | Wilmington's Huebner earns first-team selection
- ALL-STARS | Farrell's Hopson paces District 10, Region 2-2A team
- Mohawk continues to play waiting game in return of basketball playoffs
- Jeckavitch to be named Wilmington girls coach
- McDanel steps up to lead Mohawk girls basketball team
- Mohawk girls basketball team trying to adapt in uncertain time
- County schools waiting to hit classrooms, playing fields again
- PIAA suspends winter championships; Mohawk on hold
- PIAA suspends winter championships
- Julian getting it done all over the court for Mohawk
- Mohawk girls reach state quarterfinals with win
- Mohawk girls to meet Carlynton in rematch
- Shenango falls to Ridgway in state playoffs
- Hickory ousts New Castle in PIAA opener
- Laurel girls fight to the finish in PIAA playoff loss
Athlete of the Week
- Twin bill: Haswell twins have stepped up nicely during Laurel’s run to playoffs
- MUSIC TO THEIR EARS: Playoff-bound Lady 'Canes hitting the right notes behind Hudson
- RISING STAR | Freshman sensation already making his mark for 'Canes
- Chips off the old block | Stanley's sons are coming into their own for Union
- Despite adversity, McCutcheon is now at the top of her game for Lady Warriors
- Vote of confidence: Mohawk's Lape reaches new level of greatness
- Barker enjoys banner week for Laurel High boys basketball team
- TAKING IT UP A NOTCH: 'Canes' Cox has elevated his game to a whole new level
- 'Sky is the limit' for Neshannock freshman guard Nogay
- Neshannock, New Castle use similar styles on path to WPIAL gold
In this week's Tipoff Show, sponsored by Luxenberg Garbett Kelly George, P.C., a socially distanced Ron Poniewasz Jr. and Larry Kelly wrap-up the high school basketball season with discussions centering around Mohawk's run to the PIAA quarterfinals and senior Karly McCutcheon making the all-…
Tipoff Show 2019-20
- The (Quarantined) Tipoff Show | Ep. 13: Season wrap-up
- The Tipoff Show | Ep. 12: Uncertainty the word for PIAA
- The Tipoff Show | Ep. 11: Mohawk readies for the Sweet 16
- The Tipoff Show | Ep. 10: It's March Madness!
- The Tipoff Show | Ep. 9: We're on to the semifinals!
- The Tipoff Show | Ep. 8: Playoff previews
- The Tipoff Show | Ep. 7: Lady 'Canes' Hudson scores 36
- The Tipoff Show | Episode 6: Boice growing up for young 'Canes
- The Tipoff Show | Episode 5: Mohawk girls dial it up from deep on 3-pointers
- The Tipoff Show | Episode 4: It's time to start thinking about the playoffs
- The Tipoff Show | Episode 3: What's up with New Castle?
- The Tipoff Show | Episode 2: Geno Stone joins the show
- The Tipoff Show | Episode 1