Mayor Anthony Mastrangelo has confirmed no rally will be held in city limits on Sept. 9.

Rumor was that Act for America had been planning "America First" rallies across the nation on that day. Officials for the organization, who have a chapter in Cranberry Township, said rallies have been canceled for fear of violence.

In a statement read at the New Castle city council meeting on Thursday, Mastrangelo said, "Regarding a potential rally on Sept. 9, we do not have a permit approved for such a rally, nor would one be approved."

The Arts on the Riverwalk and a Spin-a-thon sponsored by the New Castle YMCA, involving bicycles racing around Kennedy Square, also are scheduled for that day.

He said the city already has two large events scheduled for that day.

"I will not approve any other activity that would interfere with these events or create an unsafe environment within our city," Mastrangelo said. "I strongly suggest your organization bypass our city because we cannot guarantee your safety."

nlowry@ncnewsonline.com

Trending Video

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.