The Lawrence County Historical Society has completed its restoration project at the Joseph A. Clavelli History Center.

The center, which serves as the organization’s museum, was built for tin-plate mogul George Greer in 1905. It was donated to the historical society in 1982 by the home’s last residents, the Joseph A. Clavelli family. It has served as the organization’s history center ever since.

The building is open to the public for tours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.

During the fall, the building underwent a project that included various repairs and improvements. Among them were slate replacement, carpentry work on the front porch, electrical upgrades, exterior painting and blacktop sealing.

The project was funded by a $30,000 grant from the May Emma Hoyt Foundation.

The society has undertaken several restorations recently, the last one being a masonry repair job that was completed in 2006. That stabilized two chimneys and solved a water leak problem.

Trending Video

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.