A Washington Township man charged with brutally beating two children faces more serious consequences and a higher bond. Samuel Eugene Whisel, 26, of Rear 409 Kino Road, Volant, was charged Wednesday by state police with criminal attempt at homicide for injuries he allegedly inflicted on his live-in girlfriend's 3-year-old son. The child suffered two fractures in his skull, a lacerated liver and extensive injuries to other vital internal organs. Whisel was arraigned on the new charge and previous charges in the case were refiled Wednesday morning in central court, where District Judge David Rishel set a new bond at $200,000. He also is being held on a $200,000 bond for allegedly injuring the child's 18-month-old sister, causing her compound breaks in both arms and severe bruising. In addition, Whisel is charged with two counts each of aggravated assault, simple assault, endangering the welfare of children, and recklessly endangering. His preliminary hearing is rescheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday in Lawrence County Central Court. According to police, troopers spoke with a child advocacy specialist in Pittsburgh, who said the 3-year-old's injuries were life-threatening. She told police that had the boy not been given medical attention when troopers took custody of him, he might have died. Because Whisel had refused to admit the boy was even at the home, it placed the child in extreme jeopardy and constituted the criminal attempt at homicide charge, police said. The child's mother said Wednesday her daughter has been placed in foster care by Lawrence County Children and Youth Services, and her son is still hospitalized, but his condition is improving. Police allege Whisel assaulted the girl Feb. 4, but would not let the mother take her to a hospital until two days later. She took her to United Community Hospital in Grove City on Feb. 6, and was directed to take her to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh because of the seriousness of her broken arms. A trooper who interviewed the mother at the hospital learned the incident had occurred around 10 p.m. Feb. 4. The mother told police the toddler was crying and Whisel went into her bedroom and yelled at her, then went back to bed. The mother noticed the next day the girl's left arm was extremely swollen and told Whisel she thought the child's arms were broken, she told police. She gave police a written statement, saying Whisel had apologized but would not let her take the girl for treatment. Troopers and children and youth caseworkers visited the home around 11:30 p.m. Feb. 6 and found the 3-year-old with extensive injuries to his head and back. He was taken to Jameson Hospital, then transferred to Children's Hospital, where he was diagnosed with two skull fractures, liver lacerations, kidney and pancreas trauma and extensive bruising. Police said Whisel told them he never struck the children. He said the girl fell from a 6-inch stool and the boy fell while walking up the porch steps. Troopers had been looking for Whisel prior to his arrest, but he turned himself in to state police on advice of a trooper who had reached him on his cell phone. Although police do not suspect drugs or alcohol in the incident, Whisel has previous drug-related convictions in Butler County.

Trending Video

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.