A fire involving cornstalks and straw bales outside Shop n’ Save Saturday night burned into the store’s overhang.

Firefighters from five departments were called around 8:45 p.m. to battle the blaze outside the grocery store in Westgate Plaza.

Union Township Police Chief Joseph Lombardo said two juveniles were seen by witnesses smoking cigarettes next to the straw bales only minutes before they ignited. He said the girls also were seen on a store video.

Lombardo said charges are pending against them.

The fire destroyed fall decorations outside and damaged two soft drink machines. It also spread into the overhang of the store’s roof and caused light smoke damage inside, Union Township Fire Chief Steve Statsko said.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture inspected the store yesterday morning and it reopened for business, he said.

New Castle and Neshannock, Mahoning and North Beaver township fire departments assisted the Union Township Volunteer Fire Department.

Trending Video

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.