Fireworks caused at least five injuries and perhaps one house fire Thursday night.

While New Castle firefighters were battling a blaze at a vacant house on Lyndal Street, Shenango Area Fire District volunteers — who were covering the city's Central Fire Station — responded to medical call in the Croton Area for a 6-year-old girl who reportedly had been hit by a stray firework. She was taken to UPMC Jameson Hospital.

Lisa Lombardo, senior manager, regional communications at UPMC confirmed that five patients were seen Thursday night in UPMC Jameson's emergency department for fireworks-related injuries. All were discharged, she said, except one, who was transferred to UPMC Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh.

As for the house fire, city firefighters were called to 534 Lyndal St. about 8:15 p.m. to find heavy smoke billowing from the structure. Neighbors told firemen the building had been vacant for about 10 years, and that they believed youths launching fireworks in the area were responsible for the blaze.

Firemen added that no utilities were connected to the house. They remained at the scene for about two and a half hours.

Firemen said the fire was contained to the residence, but noted that the house next door at 532 Lyndal St., also vacant, burned last year.

The fire department plans to work with the city's code enforcement department to identify the building's owner and to have both houses demolished.

McGonigle Ambulance joined New Castle police and firefighters on the scene.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.