A gas leak on Hamilton Street this afternoon resulted in several city streets being closed and residents evacuated from 13 homes. Three homes remained without service Monday afternoon.
New Castle fire department was called at 1:28 p.m. to block streets while Columbia Gas worked to resolve the issue.
One of the firemen on the scene told The News that the leak occurred in the 1300 block of Hamilton Street when a contractor hit a line. Gas, which could be smelled in the area, filled city sewers and houses, he said.