John K. Manna
New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
A fire that broke out along a hedgerow on Decker Drive Thursday night damaged siding on two houses.
Neshannock Township firefighters responded at 8:05 p.m. to the blaze that had started in the yard of 106 Decker Drive, apparently from a live ember that was in dumped fireplace ashes, according to deputy fire chief Brian Melcer.
He said he believes the property owner had disposed of the ashes earlier in the day, but once they sparked the dry hedges, the line of shrubs “lit up like a fuse.”
He believes the windy weather may have contributed to the spread of the fire as well.
Melcer said the hedgerow extended the depth of the property, about 150 to 200 feet, and was about five or six feet tall, and the entire row was burning.
“It was literally a flaming wall when we arrived.”
The fire melted siding on the house, which is owned by Raymond and Agnes Cole.
It also damaged the siding on the neighboring house at 104 Decker Drive, owned by Walter Powell.
Melcer said the Neshannock department had requested mutual aid but canceled it because it had put the fire out.