NEW CASTLE —
And no more WPIAL opponents.
For the fourth time this season, the New Castle High basketball team defeated Hampton, 57-55, on Saturday afternoon at Bethel Park and moves on to the PIAA semifinals.
The WPIAL champion 'Canes, now 29-0, will face Abington 25-5), a 56-52 winner Saturday over Martin Luther King. The game will take place at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Chambersburg High.
Playing with three fouls early, Malik Hooker still finished with 11 points for the 'Canes. Anthony Richards also finished with 11. Robert Natale came off the bench and finished with 9 in a strong outing.
Collin Luther paced the Talbots with 23 points.
The Red Hurricane trailed 45-42 entering the final period, but Drew Allen gave the 'Canes a 50-49 lead on a trey and they never trailed again.
New Castle captured a pair of Section 3 verdicts over Hampton this year, 58-42 and 66-55, then topped the Talbots 55-49 in the WPIAL title game. The ’Canes entered today's meeting with eight-straight wins over Hampton.
The Talbots finished their season at 24-5.
New Castle has now won 49 straight games against WPIAL opponents.
(Look for stories, photos and video highlights Monday on The Bounce!)
NEW CASTLE —
Sex offender sentenced to prison term
A Scott Township man who sexually assaulted a teenager has been sentenced to seven to 14 years in prison.
Woman charged in photo fraud
A New Galilee woman is accused of a wedding photo fraud.
Arrest made in Crestview shooting
New Castle police have made an arrest in a fatal shooting at Crestview Gardens.
- Man cited for dog law violations
- Ellwood man charged after driving over fire hose
- Homeless man cited
- Man charged with throwing chair through windshield
- Man charged in Crestview Gardens deadly shooting
- Two injured in car-bus accident
- Woman faces charges in Ellwood City shootout
- Man arrested after chase
- Trailer burns in New Beaver
- Woman released after rollover accident
- Local store robbed again
- Teens charged in Lincoln Terrace shooting
- Ellwood City man faces more child rape charges
- Man facing drug charges
- Philadelphia man accused in theft
- Homeless man arrested in burglary
- Police investigate shooting on Lincoln Avenue
- State Street fire under investigation
- Two teens charged, wanted in East Side robbery
- Man robs Neshannock store at gunpoint
- Cause of crash still not known
- Prostitution charges withdrawn
- Sex offender sentenced to prison term