New Castle News

November 27, 2013

Argument, altercation lead to jail

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — A man allegedly snooping on a cell phone is now in jail on $5,000 bond.

Albert Chadwell, 31, of 722 Neshannock Blvd., was charged with aggravated assault, terroristic threats, two counts of simple assault, recklessly endangering another and two counts of harassment.

Police were told Chadwell and a woman argued Sunday morning. The argument turned physical and resulted in Chadwell putting a gun to her head.

The victim told police that Chadwell had demanded to know where she had been the night before and asked to see her cell phone. When she refused, police were told, he searched the house, held a gun against her side and demanded her phone.

She said he then pulled a knife, opened it and held it against her throat as children in the house watched and began to cry.

At that point, she said, she gave up the phone.

After he viewed information on the phone, she said, Chadwell again began to yell. She told police he had pushed her down onto the couch, pulled his gun again and held it to her left eye then her temple.

She told police she was so scared she did not even know what he was yelling. When the children started pulling at Chadwell’s shirt, she said, he stepped away from her and said the gun had not been loaded.

She said he walked away, placing the gun on the table, where the 2-year-old picked it up and gave it back to him.

The woman said they continued to argue until Chadwell tried to leave about 4 p.m. The victim said she stood behind the vehicle preventing him from going until her mother arrived about 4:25 p.m.

She said she and her mother gathered her belongings and went to her mother’s house where she called police and asked for the procedure to file for protection from abuse order.

Police went to the house where they located Chadwell, a folding knife and a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun.

In police custody, Chadwell told officers it was the woman who had been “throwing a tantrum,” broken a vase, threatened to cut his throat, then beat the 4-year-old who would not stop crying.

He told police he had left when the woman’s mother arrived and told her he would call police if she came back.

Police said the victim had two children with her but the officers saw no sign of injury to them.