New Castle News

January 29, 2014

Two injured in city fire

John K. Manna
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — Firefighters said a woman smoking while using oxygen sparked a fire in a home on the city’s North Hill.

She and her daughter were taken to Jameson Hospital following the blaze at their Lincoln Avenue home.

New Castle firefighters said the older woman had burns to her face and hair, adding she was coughing and said she could not breathe. Firefighters carried her down the stairs.

Her daughter complained of shortness of breath.

The department did not have their names.

Firefighters said the blaze — reported about 7:30 p.m. Monday — was confined to a second-floor bedroom and burned a rug and the floor area at the 210 E. Lincoln Ave. home.

They said the fire had been ignited by the mother smoking while wearing an oxygen tube. Both females were taken to the hospital by ambulance.

Firefighters ventilated the home to remove the smoke. They were on the scene for about an hour.