New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
A fire destroyed a vacant house in the 200 block of South Ashland Avenue Monday.
New Castle firefighters responded to a neighbor’s call for help about 6 p.m.
Renee Ryan, who lives next door, said she had walked out of her house and saw the front of the frame house engulfed in flames.
“I thank God we saw it when we did,” she said.
The transformer in front of the house had caught fire, she said, and dangling wires carried the flames to the grass.
She said when firefighters arrived, they had to extinguish the burning grass before they could put out the blaze at the house.
Neighbors said a woman and two small children who appeared to have been renting the house had been there within the past week but apparently had moved out.
New Castle Fire Chief Mark Panella said the house appeared to be vacant and the gas was shut off.