NEW CASTLE —
Mark Mangino is back in college football.
And it’s a new start at the place he started his career.
Mangino announced Friday morning that he has been hired as an assistant head coach at Youngstown State University, his alma mater.
"This is a homecoming for me," Mangino told the Kansas City Star. "I'm delighted to be at a great school with a great football tradition with a team and coach poised to do great things."
Mangino, 56, coached at Kansas from 2002-09. He had led the Jayhawks to back-to-back bowl bids for the first time in school history, including a historic victory in the 2008 Orange Bowl. He parted ways with the university following the 2009 season.
Mangino was an assistant under former YSU coach Jim Tressel from 1985-87, and current Youngstown State coach Eric Wolford was an offensive lineman at Kansas State in the early 1990s, when Mangino served as an assistant under Bill Snyder.
"Every coaching job I have ever taken was a rebuilding project," the New Castle High grad told The Star, "but this program is not rebuilding. This program has the potential to have a very good year and that's a credit to Eric Wolford, his staff and his team."
Mangino guided Kansas to a 50-48 record in eight seasons. He previously worked as an assistant coach for Bob Stoops at Oklahoma from 1992-2001 after spending 1991-1998 as an assistant at Kansas State.
Late last year, Mangino told the New Castle News he was ready to get back into coaching, following his wife Mary Jane’s battle with breast cancer.
NEW CASTLE —
New Castle High evacuated for fire call
What was being described as a small fire prompted the evacuation of New Castle High School early Tuesday afternoon.Continued ...
Flight from police yields suspected cocaine
A Youngstown man who police said fled from them Monday morning remains in the Lawrence County jail. New Castle police said Jamal I. Turner, 21, of 56 Garfield St., was arraigned before District Judge Melissa Amodie on charges of manufacture, delivery or possession of a controlled substance, flight to avoid apprehension, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and disorderly conduct.Continued ...
Man charged with drug possession during school visit
A Meadville man visiting a local school is facing drug possession charges. New Castle police said a summons has been issued to Jeremy Smith, 35, of Liberty Street. He is charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.Continued ...
- Jeep flips onto roof in Falls Street accident
- Felon arrested for drugs on Halco Drive
- Chimney fire damages home
- Man jailed for assault facing drug charges
- Man charged after hitting Capitol Grille
- McGrath Manor raid leads to man’s arrest
- Man charged with break-in
- Sex offender jailed on escape charge
- ‘Person of interest’ interviewed in fatality
- Woman charged with child endangerment
- Man found on roof during drug raid
- Police have 'person of interest' fatal hit and run
- Police pull man through window during arrest
- Investigators say truck fire ignited house
- Hit-and-run victim identified
- Man hospitalized after fire
- 'Canes capture third straight WPIAL title!
- East Side man dies in fire
- Fire destroys Ellport residence
- Man accused of indecent assault of child
- DEVELOPING STORY: East Side man dies in fire
- Couple accused in identity theft
- New Castle High evacuated for fire call