NEW CASTLE —
Mark Mangino is back in college football.
And it’s a new start at the place he started his career.
Mangino announced Friday morning that he has been hired as an assistant head coach at Youngstown State University, his alma mater.
"This is a homecoming for me," Mangino told the Kansas City Star. "I'm delighted to be at a great school with a great football tradition with a team and coach poised to do great things."
Mangino, 56, coached at Kansas from 2002-09. He had led the Jayhawks to back-to-back bowl bids for the first time in school history, including a historic victory in the 2008 Orange Bowl. He parted ways with the university following the 2009 season.
Mangino was an assistant under former YSU coach Jim Tressel from 1985-87, and current Youngstown State coach Eric Wolford was an offensive lineman at Kansas State in the early 1990s, when Mangino served as an assistant under Bill Snyder.
"Every coaching job I have ever taken was a rebuilding project," the New Castle High grad told The Star, "but this program is not rebuilding. This program has the potential to have a very good year and that's a credit to Eric Wolford, his staff and his team."
Mangino guided Kansas to a 50-48 record in eight seasons. He previously worked as an assistant coach for Bob Stoops at Oklahoma from 1992-2001 after spending 1991-1998 as an assistant at Kansas State.
Late last year, Mangino told the New Castle News he was ready to get back into coaching, following his wife Mary Jane’s battle with breast cancer.
NEW CASTLE —
Teen faces adult charges in robbery
A juvenile is being charged as an adult in connection with a robbery outside a convenience store.
Sex offender sentenced to prison term
A Scott Township man who sexually assaulted a teenager has been sentenced to seven to 14 years in prison.
Woman charged in photo fraud
A New Galilee woman is accused of a wedding photo fraud.
- Arrest made in Crestview shooting
- Man cited for dog law violations
- Ellwood man charged after driving over fire hose
- Homeless man cited
- Man charged with throwing chair through windshield
- Man charged in Crestview Gardens deadly shooting
- Two injured in car-bus accident
- Woman faces charges in Ellwood City shootout
- Man arrested after chase
- Trailer burns in New Beaver
- Woman released after rollover accident
- Local store robbed again
- Teens charged in Lincoln Terrace shooting
- Ellwood City man faces more child rape charges
- Man facing drug charges
- Philadelphia man accused in theft
- Homeless man arrested in burglary
- Police investigate shooting on Lincoln Avenue
- State Street fire under investigation
- Two teens charged, wanted in East Side robbery
- Man robs Neshannock store at gunpoint
- Cause of crash still not known
- Teen faces adult charges in robbery