NEW CASTLE —
New Castle’s magical run toward a state title ended as the ’Canes dropped a 67-63 decision to Lower Merion in a PIAA semifinal matchup. It was New Castle’s first loss of the season.
The Red Hurricane finishes at 29-1. Lower Merion (29-3) will now play in the PIAA title game on Saturday.
New Castle battled hard against the tall and talented Aces, but the ’Canes battled foul trouble even harder.
Red Hurricane starters were in foul trouble all night long, as both Malik Hooker and Brandon Domenick fouled out. Antonio Rudolph and Anthony Richards finished with four fouls apiece.
Malik Hooker led the ’Canes with 19 points, while Navy recruit Shawn Anderson added 17.
Syracuse recruit B.J. Johnson led the Aces with 20 points. Yohanny Dalembert followed up with 15 points.
New Castle’s biggest margin was a 26-15 advantage in the second period, but a big run by Lower Merion boosted the Aces to a 29-28 lead at the half.
The Aces relied on the power of their front line, as the 6-7 Johnson and the 6-9 Dalembert scored in close throughout the night.
It was indeed a dream season for New Castle, as the ’Canes captured their second straight WPIAL title with an unbeaten record.
The Red Hurricane will say goodbye to senior starters Shawn Anderson, Antonio Rudolph and Brandon Domenick.
Look for complete coverage in Wednesday’s print edition of The News, and on The Bounce.
NEW CASTLE —
Jeep flips onto roof in Falls Street accident
A Pulaski woman was injured when her car collided with a van and flipped onto its roof, trapping her inside. The accident occurred around 11:15 a.m. Thursday on Falls Street at the intersection of Lowry Street.Continued ...
Felon arrested for drugs on Halco Drive
Narcotics investigators found cocaine and marijuana while serving a sealed search warrant on Halco Drive Thursday. They also confiscated oxycodone pills and a loaded .38-caliber pistol.Continued ...
Chimney fire damages home
A chimney fire caused damage to a North Beaver Township home this week. The North Beaver Township Volunteer Fire Department was called to the home of Joe Procopio at 325 Reed Road.Continued ...
- Man jailed for assault facing drug charges
- Man charged after hitting Capitol Grille
- McGrath Manor raid leads to man’s arrest
- Man charged with break-in
- Sex offender jailed on escape charge
- ‘Person of interest’ interviewed in fatality
- Woman charged with child endangerment
- Man found on roof during drug raid
- Police have 'person of interest' fatal hit and run
- Police pull man through window during arrest
- Investigators say truck fire ignited house
- Hit-and-run victim identified
- Man hospitalized after fire
- 'Canes capture third straight WPIAL title!
- East Side man dies in fire
- Fire destroys Ellport residence
- Man accused of indecent assault of child
- DEVELOPING STORY: East Side man dies in fire
- Couple accused in identity theft
- Zambelli conducts test fire
- Man wanted for assaulting, terrorizing woman at wedding reception
- Agreement allows nonresident students at Laurel
- Jeep flips onto roof in Falls Street accident