New Castle News

July 15, 2013

Fire displaces Mahoningtown family

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — The American Red Cross assisted a Mahoningtown family displaced by a house fire Friday.

The New Castle Fire Department, called to 200 W. Cherry St. at 12:25 a.m., said smoke was seen coming from the house.

They located the fire in a first-floor bedroom on the south side of the building. Firefighters said the blaze had “minimally extended” up the wall to the second floor. Smoke also filled the basement. Crews remained at the scene until 2:30 a.m.

Lesley Kaluzne, disaster manager for the American Red Cross, Western Pennsylvania Region, said the family of two adults and three children was set up in a local hotel. “We met their basic emergency needs, which included finding shelter, food and clothing.”

Firefighters said the blaze does not appear to be suspicious, noting it might have been electrical.

The New Castle Police Department fire investigator, who interviewed residents, said four children were at home at the time of the blaze. Firefighters said the family’s children are 9, 11 and 14 and the fourth was a 16-year-old friend.

Penn Power and Columbia Gas were called to terminate service.

Firefighters estimated damages at $25,000 to the property and $5,000 to the contents. They added that the building remains structurally sound.

According to fire officials, the house is rented by Kimberly Campbell and owned by Joe Cubellis.