New Castle News

Updates

June 14, 2012

Man suffers burns in North Hill fire

NEW CASTLE — An apartment resident suffered what were described as minor burns in a fire Wednesday on New Castle’s North Hill.

City firefighters responded to the call at 300 Rhodes Place about 8:30 p.m. and found a blaze in a second-floor kitchen.

According to firefighter Mike Kobbe, the cause was food left on a stove unattended.

The fire department’s report said the resident of the second-floor apartment suffered minor burns to his hands and lower back while attempting to extinguish the blaze prior to the arrival of firefighters.

The report did not have the man’s name, and Kobbe noted he had been taken by ambulance to Jameson Hospital and was not interviewed. However, witnesses identified him as Buddy Lewis, the apartment’s resident.

Kobbe said firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly and contain it to the kitchen. He described it as a “room and contents” fire. He added firefighters inspected the other apartment in the building and did not see any damage.

The owner of the apartment listed on the report is Leona Gudyk.

Kobbe said the Red Cross was notified and would be providing assistance to the victim.

Firefighters remained at the scene until 9:50 p.m.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

Do you talk to yourself when you're alone?

Yes, but I’m basically just thinking out loud.
No, that would be weird.
I don’t know. Next time I’m alone, I’ll ask.
     View Results