New Castle News

Updates

April 27, 2012

Police respond to threat against student

NEW CASTLE — New Castle police and district officials have responded to an online threat against a student at the high school.

According to Police Chief Bobby Salem, after having been in a fight with another student, a male high school student posted a threat Monday on Twitter, saying, “I’m going to go off on that kid.”

Salem said there was no threat of any weapon involved.

However, the police interviewed the youth and his mother.

As a safety precaution, a bomb dog searched the school for a possible weapon or other threat but did not find one.

“It was just a safety precaution that was taken at the school,” he said, adding increased security measures, including screenings, were enforced.

According to Salem, rumors have been circulating in the school district since then of a threat more dramatic than what actually had happened.

“We brought the kid in, interviewed him, checked his computer and increased security at the school,” Salem said. “He was questioned and we determined that there was no threat to the school.”

Attempts Thursday to reach superintendent George Gabriel and junior/senior high school principal Richard Litrenta for information about any disciplinary measures taken by the district were unsuccessful.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

What is your favorite Easter treat?

Jelly beans
Chocolate ... bunnies, crosses, anything that’s chocolate!
Marshmallow peeps
Decorated eggs
Other
     View Results