New Castle News


March 4, 2013

Father, son injured in apartment fire

NEW CASTLE — A father and son were taken to the hospital Saturday after trying to extinguish a grease fire in their Skyview Towers kitchen.

The New Castle Fire Department reported that Mark Druga and his son, Lance, were sleeping in their fourth-floor apartment at 219 N. Beaver St. and awoke around 10:30 a.m. to find the place filled with smoke.

Mark Druga told police that grease had been left burning on the stovetop and ignited.

Lance Druga tried to smother the fire and the pan fell onto the floor. He suffered burns to his face and feet. Mark Druga suffered smoke inhalation, according to a fire department report.

Both men were taken by ambulance to Jameson Hospital.

Fire personnel reported that they arrived to find a light cover burning at the bottom of the stove that had caught the lower corner of the kitchen cabinets on fire. A pan of water had been thrown on the flames to try to extinguish them, the report said.

The fire was extinguished by firemen who cleared the scene half an hour later.



Text Only | Photo Reprints

House Ads

"State Fair" opens at the New Castle Playhouse tonight. Will you be checking out the show?

Definitely! I've already got my tickets.
Maybe. I'm not sure.
Nah, it's not for me.
     View Results