New Castle News

Updates

June 19, 2013

Jail gets second bomb threat

NEW CASTLE — For the second time in four days, the Lawrence County jail received a bomb threat.

New Castle fire and police departments were summoned just after noon Tuesday and stood guard while the jail was searched.

According to David Gettings, prison board chairman, the call was similar to one received over the weekend. A male caller threatened he was “coming to blow up the place.”

Gettings said the jail was not evacuated. Rather, it was placed on lockdown and investigators searched areas where the public had been inside the building, he said.

No visitors were admitted Tuesday afternoon, and Gettings said he was unsure how long the lockdown would last.

The emergency units cleared the jail around 3 p.m.

Police dogs from New Castle and Mercer County were summoned, Gettings said.

“Nothing was found, no contraband, nothing. We were particularly worried about the areas where someone from outside had come in.”

Gettings said outside bomb crews were not summoned.

The county had received a similar bomb threat around 7:40 p.m. Saturday from a man who also said he was “coming up to blow up the jail.”

(Email: dwachter@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

Milwaukee catcher Martin Maldonado has been suspended five games for sucker punching Pittsburgh’s Travis Snider during a bench clearing brawl on Sunday. You OK with that suspension?

Yes. Seems fair.
No. Baseball NEVER gets it right in these situations. Should have been at least 20 games for his sucker punch into a pile of players.
Not sure, but I’d love to see baseball be like hockey and allow two guys to fight for a while before breaking it up. Let’s see how tough Maldonado is then.
     View Results