New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
A Sunday night fire on Shaffer Road in Slippery Rock Township destroyed a garage and the equipment inside.
However, quick action by a resident prevented a nearby trailer at 3176 Shaffer Road occupied by his neighbor, Neil Watt, from also being engulfed by flames.
Slippery Rock Fire Chief George Johnson said Travis Bintrim, who lives across the street from Watt, was alerted to the fire by his barking dog. Bintrim called 911 around 10:25 p.m. and then woke up Watt and got him safely out of the trailer, Johnson said.
The garage was fully involved when firefighters arrived, Johnson said. Wind was blowing flames toward the trailer, which is about 20 feet from the garage, but firefighters were able to protect the trailer from damage, he said.
Damage was estimated at $20,000 to the one and a half story, two–stall garage and its contents: a farm tractor, mowers and a large amount of tools.
Johnson said the fire marshal was called, but it is believed a battery charger that was charging the tractor overnight is believed to be the cause of the blaze.
The scene was cleared a little after midnight. Approximately 25 firefighters from Slippery Rock, Shenango Township, Taylor Township and Portersville fire departments responded to the blaze.