New Castle News


February 1, 2014

Fugitive apprehended after school lockdowns, search

NEW CASTLE — What allegedly started as an argument over who would drive turned into a jail stay for a Neshannock Township man.

Michael David Boros Jr., 26, of 203 W. Clen-Moore Blvd., faces charges of simple assault, harassment, flight to avoid apprehension and disorderly conduct.

District Judge Scott McGrath set Boros’ bond at $10,000. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday.

The case began in the parking lot of Pulaski Elementary School Friday morning. Pulaski Township police were notified a man was beating a woman there.

Lt. John Rand of the Neshannock Township police said he had dispatched two cars to Pulaski Township about 10:30 a.m.

“We do that any time a school is involved,” he explained.

However, the cars were called back when it was learned the woman identified as the victim was at the Pennsylvania state police station on Wilmington Road.

She told police the couple had been dropping off library books at the school when they began to argue. She said Boros wanted to drive but she refused to let him because he does not have a license.

The woman told police when she came out of the school, she found Boros in the driver’s seat.

When she ordered him into the passenger seat, she said, he jumped out of the car, wrestled with her in an attempt to take the car keys, flipping her jacket over her head, ripping her glasses from her face and tossing them in the parking lot.

With Boros back in the passenger seat, the woman continued, they traveled from Route 208 to Interstate 376. She said Boros continued to argue and punched her in the right side of the head.

The woman told police she had pulled off the interstate heading to the state police station, knowing there were warrants for Boros’ arrest.

Lawrence County Judge Dominick Motto had issued a bench warrant Thursday when Boros failed to appear for a preliminary hearing on a charge of fleeing or attempting to elude police. He also faces retail theft charges in Mercer County.

The woman said Boros jumped out of the car and ran toward the Sheetz at the corner of Wilmington and Mitchell roads. Rand said he was hiding in that area and officers from Pulaski, Neshannock and Mahoning townships, New Wilmington and state police and the Lawrence County sheriff’s department joined the search.

At Carmella Drive, Rand said, Neshannock’s K-9 picked up a scent that officers began tracking through a wooded area behind Field Club Commons.

Boros’ father, working with state police, tried to lure him into his car. However, officers said, Boros told his father he had been listening to the police scanner on his phone and would not come out of the woods.

Officers then contacted the state police helicopter to help locate him.

With the helicopter en route, Rand said, ”I got a call that someone was hiding in bushes behind the Nesbitt Building.”

He said he and two state troopers had found Boros in bushes at an apartment complex behind Giant Eagle.

He was taken into custody about 12:30 p.m.

During the search, Neshannock’s school buildings were on lockdown. Police said Pulaski Elementary School also was on lockdown, but efforts to contact Wilmington school district officials were unsuccessful.

Dr. Mary Todora, Neshannock superintendent, and Robert Shaffer, head of security, said the lockdown lasted about 90 minutes. School security prevented anyone from entering or leaving district property. In addition, school officials discussed whether to dismiss and pick up the kindergarten students.

Todora, Shaffer and elementary principal Matthew Heasley decided to dismiss the kindergartners on time.

An armed security guard rode the bus with the children and an unmarked police car followed. After one bus completed its route, the second bus went out, they said. On the buses sent to pick up the afternoon kindergartners, an armed guard rode one bus and a teacher rode the second bus.

“The parents were assured that everyone was safe and everything secure,” Todora said.

The administrators said they were comfortable releasing their youngest students because Rand kept the district up to date with what was going on. Parents also were notified.

“Any time we have an incident that might put any school in jeopardy we alert the school and keep them as informed as we can,” Rand said, adding he had recommended the lockdown.

“This was a preliminary level,” he said. “No one was to go in or come out but inside the facility the kids could still change classes. They adapted perfectly.”


Text Only | Photo Reprints

House Ads

Do you talk to yourself when you're alone?

Yes, but I’m basically just thinking out loud.
No, that would be weird.
I don’t know. Next time I’m alone, I’ll ask.
     View Results