New Castle News

Updates

February 28, 2014

Fire destroys Ellport residence

NEW CASTLE — A fire destroyed a house in Ellport Thursday night.

The family and pets occupying the dwelling at 115 Martin Ave. was able to get out of the house without incident, according to Perry Township Fire Chief Mark McDevitt.

Scott Marshall, the owner and a former firefighter, told the New Castle News that his wife had heard crackling in the chimney and, upon investigating, he saw it was on fire.

Marshall, his wife, son and two pets were in the house at the time.

Firefighters received the call around 8:30 p.m. and were at the scene until 11:15 p.m.

McDevitt said it appears the fire began in the chimney and spread to the attic. Noting the roof is gone as a result of the blaze, McDevitt listed the structure as a total loss.

Volunteer fire departments assisting Perry were Ellwood City, Wayne Township, Chewton and Franklin Township, Beaver County.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

Summer is a perfect time for a good read. Where's your favorite place to spend off time with your nose in a book?

Relaxing on the couch
On a bench in the park
By the pool
At the closest beach
I don't have time to read
     View Results