NEW CASTLE —
Two days, two drug raids.
That’s the total for law enforcement in Lawrence County, which targeted two sites in New Castle Wednesday and Thursday.
One person was arrested in a raid on Paul Street early Wednesday as part of a joint operation.
According to Lawrence County District Attorney Joshua Lamancusa, Tarray Sims, 36, also known as “Shine,” was arrested during the raid, which also netted drugs, paraphernalia, cash and other items.
Members of the Lawrence County District Attorney’s Task Force, New Castle Police Department’s narcotics department, Lawrence County juvenile probation department, Neshannock Township Police, New Wilmington Police and state parole officers participated in the 6:30 a.m. raid, Lamancusa said.
Five people were in the Paul Street home — three men, a woman and a child — Lamancusa said. However, Sims was the target and the only one arrested.
According to Lamancusa, Sims, who was on parole after serving time in prison on another drug charge, was identified by authorities through an “undercover operation.” It is believed he has been dealing drugs in the area for several months, Lamancusa said.
The district attorney added that Sims “is known to have stash houses” in the area, where he stores drugs and cash. Law enforcement is now looking for those sites and Lamancusa said additional charges may be filed.
At the Paul Street home, Lamancusa said, authorities seized four grams of heroin, two grams of cocaine, five strips of Suboxone (a pain killer prescribed to treat opiate addiction), one Ecstasy tablet and assorted paraphernalia. Also confiscated was about $300 and several large-screen televisions.
As of Thursday, charges had not been filed against Sims, but New Castle Police Chief Robert Salem said he would be arraigned Friday.
Thursday morning, members of the city police narcotics bureau and Lawrence County District Attorney’s Special Investigative Unit — armed with a search warrant — raided a house at 1319 Laurel Place.
Officers found Steven Houston, 31, known as “P,” and Tara Maria Voto, 35, at the house. Both were taken into custody, according to Salem.
Also found was a plastic bag of suspected cocaine in the kitchen, and digital scales, a 9 mm handgun and two bags of suspected cocaine, weighing 40 grams, in the bedroom.
Houston, who is from Detroit, and Voto will be charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver and possession of drug paraphernalia. Salem said there will be “enhancements” on the charges because they involved guns found in a school zone. The home is near the Croton Pre-Kindergarten Center.
Salem said law enforcement had received several complaints of suspected drug activity in the area of 1319 Laurel Place and put it under surveillance.
NEW CASTLE —
Two days, two drug raids.
Jeep flips onto roof in Falls Street accident
A Pulaski woman was injured when her car collided with a van and flipped onto its roof, trapping her inside. The accident occurred around 11:15 a.m. Thursday on Falls Street at the intersection of Lowry Street.Continued ...
Felon arrested for drugs on Halco Drive
Narcotics investigators found cocaine and marijuana while serving a sealed search warrant on Halco Drive Thursday. They also confiscated oxycodone pills and a loaded .38-caliber pistol.Continued ...
Chimney fire damages home
A chimney fire caused damage to a North Beaver Township home this week. The North Beaver Township Volunteer Fire Department was called to the home of Joe Procopio at 325 Reed Road.Continued ...
- Man jailed for assault facing drug charges
- Man charged after hitting Capitol Grille
- McGrath Manor raid leads to man’s arrest
- Man charged with break-in
- Sex offender jailed on escape charge
- ‘Person of interest’ interviewed in fatality
- Woman charged with child endangerment
- Man found on roof during drug raid
- Police have 'person of interest' fatal hit and run
- Police pull man through window during arrest
- Investigators say truck fire ignited house
- Hit-and-run victim identified
- Man hospitalized after fire
- 'Canes capture third straight WPIAL title!
- East Side man dies in fire
- Fire destroys Ellport residence
- Man accused of indecent assault of child
- DEVELOPING STORY: East Side man dies in fire
- Couple accused in identity theft
- Zambelli conducts test fire
- Man wanted for assaulting, terrorizing woman at wedding reception
- Agreement allows nonresident students at Laurel
- Jeep flips onto roof in Falls Street accident