New Castle News


November 26, 2013

Man facing attempted homicide charges

NEW CASTLE — A South New Castle man is facing attempted homicide charges after he allegedly ran over another man.

Michael Todd Falba, 29, of 2315 Morris St. also is charged with two counts of aggravated assault and criminal attempted aggravated assault, and one count each of accidents involving death or personal injury, criminal mischief, recklessly endangering another person, accidents involving damage to vehicle or property, reckless driving and failing to stop to provide information or render aid following an accident.

He remains in the Lawrence County jail in lieu of $100,000 bond.

Shenango Township police were contacted about 12:40 a.m. Saturday by Falba’s father, who told them his son had been involved in a fight at Shenango Elementary School.

Police had been contacted just after 10 p.m. Friday regarding a hit-and-run incident in the school parking lot.

The victim told Shenango Township police a black Jeep — whose driver was later identified as Falba — hit his car then struck him twice.

The victim said he had reason to believe the Jeep had been involved in a criminal mischief incident at his home earlier in the evening and he was following the Jeep to get the license plate number.

The victim said he had followed the Jeep down back roads and Falba repeatedly turned off his headlights. At one point, he said, he encountered the Jeep blocking the road and facing his car. The victim said the Jeep came toward his car and the driver threw a can out the driver’s side window, striking the victim’s car.

Following that incident, the victim said, he continued to follow the Jeep on back roads. The victim said as he approached the Shenango Township Volunteer Fire Department, he saw the dark vehicle coming toward him — with no headlights. He said the on-coming vehicle had crossed the center line, forcing his car to go off the road. Both vehicles then entered the elementary school parking lot.

The victim said Falba’s Jeep initially headed toward the football field, turned, put out its headlights and came toward him at high speed, striking his car on the driver’s side, damaging his bumper and fender. The crash, the victim said, caused his engine to die.

He told police he got out of his car and yelled at the other driver to stop. He said the other vehicle drifted backwards and the victim struck the windshield and passenger side windows with a pipe. He said as he tried to get back into his own car, the Jeep came at him at high speed, striking him and pinning him between the two vehicles. He said the driver continued to accelerate, knocking him to the ground.

The victim said as he lay on the ground next to his car, Falba backed up and ran over him, dragging him eight to 10 feet.

He said the Jeep then drove off— still with no lights — and the driver yelled “have a nice day.”

Police said the victim was admitted to St. Elizabeth Health Center in Youngstown with a broken left leg.

The victim told police he had not done anything to provoke or scare the driver while he followed him trying to get the license plate number. He also said he was unable to get the license plate number because the driver had turned his lights off numerous times.

Officers said neither party had called police during the incident.

After police were contacted by Falba’s father, they went to his house. Officers said Falba’s black Jeep Grand Cherokee had extensive damage to the passenger side windshield and side window.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

House Ads

The film "Into the Storm," about a devastating tornado, opens nationally Aug. 1. What's your favorite storm movie?

The Day After Tomorrow
The Perfect Storm
     View Results