New Castle News

Updates

August 12, 2013

Unattended fryer damages house

NEW CASTLE — An unattended french fryer resulted in about $15,000 worth of damage for a West Side family.

New Castle firefighters were called to 402 Bell Ave. about 5:30 p.m. Sunday to control a blaze that had gutted the home’s large kitchen, they said.

Firefighters said the blaze also had damaged part of the dining room.

The building, owned by Dr. Mabel Paige, is occupied by DiVita Booker, firefighters said. Booker told them her daughter had been heating oil in a french fryer but had left the unit unattended briefly. This resulted in a fire that was too big for them to control.

Crews remained on scene for about an hour.

The house was occupied by two adults and four children. Firefighters contacted the American Red Cross to help the family to make emergency housing accommodations.

The fire has been determined to be accidental.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

The Steelers opened training camp this weekend. How do you see them faring this season?

Super Bowl
Division champs
Wild card team
Missing playoffs for a third straight year
     View Results