New Castle News

Updates

August 12, 2013

Another East Side house burns Sunday morning

NEW CASTLE — New Castle firefighters were called back to the Lower East Side early yesterday morning.

Firemen said flames were seen coming from the first floor windows of a house at 648 S. Ray St., when they arrived at 12:59 a.m. Firemen remained at the scene until 2:05 a.m.

Firefighters said all doors of the two-story house had been closed and secured. A department spokesman said the fire seemed to have begun on the first floor. It did not progress to the second story.

The house was occupied by Anthony Ramsey and Victoria Lewis, who were not in the building at the time of the fire.

Ramsey told firemen the couple had been out of the house for 24 hours prior to the fire because of bug infestation.

Firemen said no power was on at the residence, and the couple was apparently in the process of moving out.

Firemen estimate damages at $15,000.

They also noted that the house that burned yesterday morning is next door to a vacant house that was burned several times in the past few months.

The building at 646 S. Ray St. is on the city’s demolition list. It is one of three houses burned July 4 when city firemen were called to three fires within 15 minutes.

The house had been boarded up and flames were seen coming from the attic.

Firemen said the house at 646 S. Ray was most recently burned “around midnight on Friday” when someone apparently tried to light a fire at the back of the building.

The fireman said the building is roofless and the second floor has collapsed into the first floor and basement of the building.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

"State Fair" opens at the New Castle Playhouse tonight. Will you be checking out the show?

Definitely! I've already got my tickets.
Maybe. I'm not sure.
Nah, it's not for me.
     View Results