New Castle News


April 16, 2012

Shenango man hospitalized after fire

NEW CASTLE — A man was hospitalized following a fire late last night in Shenango Township.

Shenango Fire Chief David Rishel said this morning he had no identification on the man, who was immediately transported to Pittsburgh for treatment. However, Rishel said he expects to get more information today.

The fire at 1149 Roosevelt St. was reported at 11:30 p.m. Rishel said firefighters were able to respond quickly and had the flames out within 20 minutes.

However, Rishel noted the injured man, who had escaped the home, returned in an attempt to rescue pets. That’s when he suffered burns from the intense flames, Rishel said, adding the man also was being examined to see if the heat had damaged his throat or lungs.

Along with Shenango firefighters, volunteers from South New Castle Borough and Taylor and Slippery Rock townships assisted with fighting the blaze. Crews were at the scene for about an hour and a half, according to Rishel.

“We were fortunate to get in and get the fire knocked down to minimize damage,” Rishel noted.

A state police fire marshal is being called in to investigate, he said, but it appears the blaze began in the home’s kitchen, then spread to a porch.

Rishel had no dollar estimate on the damage this morning.

According to the Lawrence County assessor’s office, the house is owned by Michael J. Midzie.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

House Ads

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

Yes! I'd love to know what my pet is thinking.
Nah, it's probably not that interesting.
I don't know. I'm afraid of what I might find out.
     View Results