New Castle News

Updates

May 30, 2014

Accidental fire guts Plain Grove garage

NEW CASTLE — The Pennsylvania state police fire marshal is investigating a garage fire in Plain Grove Township.

Jack Hitchen, chief of the Scott Township Volunteer Fire Department, said he believes the blaze began in a workshop of the three-story pole building at 2244 Georgetown Road. He added it appears to have been accidental.

Firefighters were called at 8:20 p.m. Thursday and stayed about two and a half hours.

Scott Township was assisted by volunteer fire departments from Volant, Princeton, Hickory Township, Slippery Rock Borough in Butler County and Springfield Township in Mercer County. Hitchen said water-hauling tankers were needed.

The property is owned by Jerrod Stewart, according to county records.

Hitchen said it is an unoccupied structure containing a workshop with hand tools. He said the building was saved but it was gutted and most of the contents were lost to the fire.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

Have you held or will you hold a garage/yard sale this year?

I have and it was a success! It's a great way to get rid of some junk and make a little extra pocket money.
I have, but it didn't go over so well. Better luck next time?
I haven't yet, but I plan to.
I haven't and I don't plan to. It's not for me.
     View Results