New Castle News

July 5, 2013

New Castle teen charged in Sharon shooting

Melissa Klaric
Sharon Herald

NEW CASTLE — A Sharon student was shot at a party and police said a teen with New Castle connections pulled the trigger.

A party in a garage Monday at 841 Highland Road, Sharon, spilled out onto the street in front of the Temple Beth Israel Synagogue about 12:40 a.m., when two juveniles got into an argument, police said.

Elliot Gentry Reed Jr., 16, pulled out a handgun and fired several shots into the air and two shots into the crowd, according to Sharon Police Chief Michael Menster.

One of the shots hit Shawnae Manning, 15, in the left arm, he said.

“Her injuries were serious but not life threatening.”

After shooting into the crowd, Reed, who police said has addresses in Sharon and New Castle, fled along with a crowd of juveniles that scattered, according to officers.

Two of Shawnae’s friends took her to the emergency room of Sharon Regional Hospital.

Police radio traffic after the shooting indicated a chaotic scene on nearby streets with youngsters running away and some down Jefferson Avenue to the hospital.

Shawnae’s family and friends caused a disturbance in the hospital, according to Menster, but Sharon police were able to get the situation under control.

Shawnae was eventually moved to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, which does not release the condition of its patients.

“Reed will be charged as an adult,” Menster said, adding it is required by the crime codes of Pennsylvania.

Witness statements were taken and evidence recovered from the street, with Hermitage police assisting, Menster said.

Reed turned himself in at 4 p.m. Monday after juvenile probation officers familiar with him worked with his family to take him in, Menster said.

Reed is charged with two counts of aggravated assault, carrying a firearm without a license, attempted criminal homicide, and recklessly endangering another person.

Menster said police will be looking into other offenses, such as underage drinking, as part of their investigation.

Reed was taken to the Mercer County jail after failing to post $250,000 bond set by District Judge Dennis M. Songer.