New Castle News


January 24, 2014

Apartment fire clears building

NEW CASTLE — A faulty ballast in the basement of an apartment building displaced several Wampum residents.

Firefighters were called to 1000 Main St. about 11:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to Wampum Volunteer Fire Department Chief Charles Kelly Jr. The building is owned by James Ferrante.

Kelly said the building contains 10 apartments and he believes all are occupied.

The chief said the building was evacuated and residents were lodged in the recreation center across the street because of the weather. They were able to return to their homes when the firefighters completed their work, Kelly said.

The low temperatures had no affect on fire crews, he added, because their activity was inside the building. They remained about an hour and a half, leaving around 1 a.m.

The Wampum department was assisted by volunteers from the North Beaver and New Beaver Borough fire departments.

Kelly noted damage to the building was minimal.

Text Only | Photo Reprints

House Ads

The Steelers opened training camp this weekend. How do you see them faring this season?

Super Bowl
Division champs
Wild card team
Missing playoffs for a third straight year
     View Results