New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
The U-Wash-M-Carwash in Shenango Township is expected to reopen after sustaining some fire damage.
Volunteer fire departments were called to the business at 2201 E. Washington St. at 10:57 p.m. Wednesday and remained until 12:31 a.m. yesterday.
Shenango Township Fire Chief David Rishel said the fire was contained to the stairwell leading to an upstairs apartment. He said the apartment sustained heavy heat and smoke damage but no fire damage.
Rishel said the apartment is furnished, but is not occupied.
He added that the preliminary finding of Pennsylvania state police fire marshal Luke J. Nelson is that the fire started in electrical wiring under the stairs and that extensive damage was done to the stairwell and staircase leading to the apartment.
He offered no damage estimate.
“We knocked the fire back in about 14 minutes,” he said. “We kept it from doing much damage to the business.
“Very little damage was done to the car wash,” Rishel said. “I expect that it will reopen soon.”
Shenango Township firefighters were assisted by volunteer departments from Taylor Township, Slippery Rock/Princeton and South New Castle Borough.