New Castle News

Updates

February 5, 2014

Extension cord may have caused fire

NEW CASTLE — An old extension cord might have been responsible for a fire that displaced an East Side family Tuesday.

New Castle firefighters were called to the home of Joyce Sapienza at 928 Harrison St. about 10:15 a.m.  for a fire that began in an upstairs bedroom and spread to the attic.

Fire Chief Mark Panella said Sapienza was not home at the time, but a son who lives with her “heard a popping sound.” Panella said the son went upstairs, saw the fire and called the department.

A second crew was called out, resulting in a dozen firefighters at the scene. They cleared just before noon.

Panella said “an old, braided extension cord” is believed to have been the cause of the fire. The fire marshal, he noted, visited the scene and ruled the fire accidental.

Panella said the structure sustained considerable fire and smoke damage inside and considerable damage outside.

He said the occupants would be relocated at least temporarily as a result of the fire. He said he did not know what their plans were regarding shelter last night.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

On Wednesday, the House of Representatives voted to authorize Speaker John Boehner to sue President Obama for allegedly overstepping his legal authority with the way he's handled Obamacare. Good call?

Yes. Obama's been overstepping his authority since day one in office. It's time he pay the piper.
No. The allegations are ridiculous and the law suit is a waste of time and tax payer money.
I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of Obama, but the suit seems a little extreme.
     View Results