New Castle News

January 2, 2014

Fire levels Union Township house

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — A fire that destroyed a rental house on Old Youngstown Road yesterday morning appears to have been accidental.

The Union Township Fire Department was called at 1:53 a.m. to the two-story home at the corner of Harbor-Edinburg Road, next to a church.

Fire Chief Pat Donofrio said the house was owned by Lisa Suisi and was being rented to Chelsea Clark, who had told him she was in the process of moving out.

Clark said she was not at home when it started and she believed her dog and cat perished in the blaze. She said that when she arrived home at 2 a.m., the top floor of the house was engulfed in flames.

Donofrio said it is unknown whether Clark’s pets died in the blaze or whether they escaped.

He said the cause of the fire appears to have been from an electric heater. The state police fire marshal was notified.

The Mahoning and Pulaski fire departments assisted. Firefighters were at the scene for about three hours. No injuries were reported.