New Castle News

Updates

May 25, 2013

‘Carelessness’ caused Overlook fire

NEW CASTLE — The state fire marshal has determined a blaze at the Overlook Health and Rehabilitation Center was caused by carelessness.

Trooper David Jungling issued his report Friday and said the blaze was determined to have been caused by the careless disposal of smoking materials. He said damages were estimated at $500. No injuries were reported.

Volunteer firefighters from the New Wilmington, Volant and Neshannock Township departments responded to the facility in New Wilmington about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

New Wilmington Fire Chief Dick Wilson, who had not responded, said he had been told by department officers that the blaze originated at the back of the facility where employees take their smoking breaks.

He said someone apparently tossed a cigarette, which wedged in at the bottom of a post, and fire climbed up a back wall. He said the fire was out before crews arrived, but the facility filled with smoke, which necessitating moving residents and clearing the building of smoke.

The facility is owned by Reliant Senior Holdings Inc. of Philadelphia.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Updates

House Ads
Poll

Have you held or will you hold a garage/yard sale this year?

I have and it was a success! It's a great way to get rid of some junk and make a little extra pocket money.
I have, but it didn't go over so well. Better luck next time?
I haven't yet, but I plan to.
I haven't and I don't plan to. It's not for me.
     View Results