New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
Ellwood City police will not prosecute an 8-year-old accused of beating another second-grader.
Police said they had been notified by parents who reported their child had been assaulted on an Ellwood City school bus by a classmate.
Both are students at North Side Elementary School, according to police.
“The parents said the beating took place on Sept. 20, and they wanted charges filed,” a police officer said.
“We decided not to prosecute. He is not culpable. He is too young,” the officer said of the alleged aggressor, also 8 years old.
The officer said he believes the parents of the injured student contacted the district superintendent and school principal, and that they were shown the surveillance tape from the school bus.
“They had asked us to show it to them but we couldn’t show them like that,” he said.
Efforts to reach the victim’s mother were unsuccessful.