NEW CASTLE —
Lawrence County will miss the brunt of Hurricane Sandy.
But weather experts still say things won’t be pleasant around here for the next few days.
And the storm is putting organizations — ranging from the Red Cross to Penn Power — on alert, as high winds, heavy rain, flooding and power outages are anticipated in western Pennsylvania.
As of Sunday night, Hurricane Sandy was expected to make landfall late Monday or early Tuesday in New Jersey. But its impact is expected to be broad and long lasting along much of the metropolitan section of the Eastern Seaboard, with as many as 50 million people affected.
Plus, Sandy is just part of the problem. An arctic front is dipping south and expected to collide with Sandy’s moist tropical air. Some forecasters are describing it as a superstorm, almost in cataclysmic terms.
Lawrence County will be spared the worst, mainly because it is so far inland. But the National Weather Service in Pittsburgh still has issued flooding and high-wind advisories for the region.
Several days of rain will continue throughout the week, prompting a flood watch to commence Monday morning through Tuesday evening. Meanwhile, a high wind watch is in effect from Monday afternoon through Tuesday evening.
Sustained winds of 25 to 35 mph are anticipated during the storm, with gusts as high as 60 mph.
As a result, people living in low-lying areas are being urged to monitor the potential for flooding, while everyone is being cautioned to prepare for prolonged power outages.
Among the organizations preparing for this week’s hazardous weather locally is the American Red Cross. Officials with the agency say they are in the process of identifying potential shelter locations, organizing relief supplies and stocking emergency response vehicles.
The Red Cross also is urging residents to have their own disaster preparations and to make efforts to remain informed of dangerous weather conditions. Individuals should have several days of fresh water, food, flashlights and batteries and first aid kits on hand.
To find shelter in the area, people can download the Red Cross Hurricane app, visit the Red Cross website at redcross.org, call (800) 733-2767 or check local media outlets.
Residents are also urged to register on the Red Cross Safe and Well website, a secure and easy-to-use online tool that helps families connect during emergencies. To register, visit RedCross.org or call (800) 733-2767. This site also connects with the Twitter and Facebook accounts of users.
Noting the preparations for this storm are widespread and extensive, the Red Cross is seeking public donations to assist with the effort. These can be made online or to the local Red Cross office at 222 N. Mercer St.
Meanwhile, a press release from FirstEnergy, parent firm of Penn Power, said the company is bracing for the storm and preparing to mobilize employees to respond. In the eastern part of Pennsylvania, FirstEnergy is anticipating some power outages could last seven to 10 days.
The company said it has 700 linemen, hazard crews and internal support resources secured. Plus, another 500 to 600 private electrical contractors are to be available to assist with recovery. And another 1,000 private tree contractors are to be available as well.
FirstEnergy said it will deploy people to areas hardest hit.
People who lose their power can report outages to (888) 544-4877, or click the “Report Outage” link at www.firstenergycorp.com via a smartphone.
NEW CASTLE —
Lawrence County will miss the brunt of Hurricane Sandy.
- TOP STORIES
Fire marshal probes cause of blaze
A city police fire marshal said he hasn’t ruled yet on a blaze that ravaged two Taylor Street houses. Chris Fabian, who was at the fire scene for the duration Monday morning, said the blaze that displaced three families started in the back of a yellow, two-story duplex at 602 Taylor St.
Pennsylvania won’t take action on quakes
Pennsylvania officials plan no action despite new Ohio rules on drilling that affect a seismically active area near the state line.
Photo Gallery, Story: Crowds of anglers still turned out for opening day of trout season
Saturday morning marked the beginning of the Pennsylvania trout season. Locally, many anglers took to the county’s rivers and streams, eager to get started. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission stocked lakes and streams with 3.2 million adult brook, brown and rainbow trout.
Levar Ware’s Story, Part 2: After getting his life back on track, senior ready to tackle college next
Second of two parts: Even when Levar Ware was at his lowest, people recognized the quality of his character. Some, like Andy Tommelleo, former director of the Lawrence County Career and Technical Center, went the extra mile because of it.
Levar Ware’s Story, Part 1: ’Canes’ senior finally found his way after enduring difficult living conditions in West Virginia
First of two parts: His infectious smile can light up a room, but five years ago, Levar Ware was living in darkness. Except for his mother, concerned educators and a local attorney, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound senior who helped New Castle High capture its first state basketball title last month might not even have been on the team.
Settlement reached in City Rescue Mission lawsuit
A lawsuit filed against the City Rescue Mission by a vision-impaired man has been settled. The case’s settlement was reported in a filing on the U.S. District Court docket Tuesday.
Residents want repairs to bridge
Guardrails are expected to be installed on a Pulaski Township culvert bridge by week’s end because of residents’ safety concerns. The township-owned bridge is on Maple Lane, just west of Hilcorp Energy Co.’s Artman wellpad.
Agreement reached to restore Cascade Park pool
United Way of Lawrence County will soon embark on its goal to bring back the Cascade Park swimming pool. The city of New Castle and the United Way tentatively have reached an agreement on leasing the pool to the agency, allowing it to rehabilitate the facility that has been dormant for approximately 14 years.
New Castle Schools: Razzano resigns in settlement with district
Robert Razzano has resigned from his position as New Castle Junior High School principal, effective yesterday. The school board in an 8-0 vote ratified an agreement between Razzano and the district that ends his employment and allows him to collect his pay through the end of the year, an amount of $29,610.
Photo Gallery, Story: Former Wampum basketball players who won state titles see common threads with ’Canes
Once a month, they come back to the town where it all started. A large group gathers at Jata’s Diner for some breakfast and to catch up on recent events, grandchildren and talk about the memories they made just down Main Street at Wampum High School.
- More TOP STORIES Headlines
- Fire marshal probes cause of blaze