New Castle News

April 18, 2014

Firefighters respond to gas leak

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — New Castle firefighters responded to a gas leak Friday at the former Lincoln-Garfield school on Long Avenue.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Petrone said Columbia Gas received a call from someone in the 800 block of South Mercer Street about the smell of gas Friday morning.

Columbia Gas traced the source of the smell to the former school and called the fire department at 8:13 a.m.

Petrone said Long Avenue in front of the unoccupied building was blocked off and firefighters notified some nearby residents as a precaution, advising them of the situation.

Columbia Gas shut off the gas and Penn Power turned off the electricity to prevent any fire hazard. Firefighters then went inside to ventilate the building, Petrone said.

He said doors to the building were broken open and the building had been vandalized. Copper pipe and wiring were some of the items missing, he said, adding that city police are investigating.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour. Sarah Perry, Columbia Gas spokesperson, said the leak was caused as a result of a stolen pipe.