New Castle News

TOP STORIES

November 5, 2013

Grease fire damages Shenango home

NEW CASTLE — A kitchen grease fire caused about $25,000 damage to a Shenango Township home Monday afternoon.

Shenango and four other departments responded to 122 Aiken Road about 3:30 p.m. to find the inside engulfed in flames, according to Shenango Township Fire Chief David Rishel.

He said the fire started in the kitchen and the resident, whose name was not available, was trying to carry a container with flaming grease outside when the fire spread up the walls. He suffered minor burns to his hands.

Firefighters made a hole in the kitchen ceiling to vent the smoke. Officials said there was smoke and water damage to the lower floor, but little damage from the fire.

South New Castle Borough, Taylor Township, Princeton and Slippery Rock volunteer fire departments assisted.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
TOP STORIES
House Ads
Poll

What is your favorite Easter treat?

Jelly beans
Chocolate ... bunnies, crosses, anything that’s chocolate!
Marshmallow peeps
Decorated eggs
Other
     View Results