New Castle News

TOP STORIES

January 28, 2014

Electric grid may be stressed today

NEW CASTLE — No power outages were reported because of winds over Sunday night, but local electrical concerns linger.

Chuck Jackson, area manager of Penn Power, said there are worries about electric overload Tuesday and Wednesday when demand increases as electric furnaces and heating devices struggle to keep homes warm in subzero windchills. He said that peak demand is usually around suppertime.

Temperatures were expected to drop below zero Monday night, with no more than single digits Tuesday.

The cold temperatures have led to various closings, including New Castle’s city hall and schools. Other schools in the county announced closures as well.

The electric company is taking measures to make sure the system is strong enough to handle the demand. He said this is done through curtailment agreements with large industrial customers that allow their usage to be cut during high demand times. He said this process is going on throughout the Northeast.

Jackson said additional concerns Tuesday and Wednesday are outages that could result from downed lines because of cold and wind. If an outage occurs, customers should call (888) LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or click the “Report Outage” link on www.firstenergycorp.com via smartphone.

Customers should immediately report downed wires to their utility or local police or fire department. Customers should never go near a downed power line, even if they think it is no longer carrying electricity.

Updated information on current outages, FirstEnergy’s storm restoration process and tips for staying safe, are available at the 24/7 Power Center at www.firstenergycorp.com/outages.

FirstEnergy also is advising its customers to deal with the anticipated low temperatures in the following ways:

•Make sure your home is properly insulated to preserve heat. Inspect doors and windows and apply caulk or weather-stripping where necessary to keep cold air out. Close drapes, blinds and garage doors to retain heat and keep cold air out.

•Keep extra blankets or sleeping bags for each person in your home. Dress in layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing.

•Use a sturdy fireplace screen on a fireplace or wood burning stove.

•Never use a gas stove, charcoal grill or lantern intended for outdoor use inside your home as it could lead to a build-up of deadly carbon monoxide gas.

•Exercise caution with space heaters. Only use heaters designed for indoor use and keep all heat sources at least three feet away from curtains, carpet or furniture that could catch on fire.

•Maintain a three-day supply of water and non-perishable food. Convenience foods that do not require cooking are good to have on hand.

•Avoid frozen pipes by opening faucets and maintaining a constant drip, or wrap pipes in insulation or layers of newspapers.

•Use care when burning candles, especially around children or pets.

•Charge electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablets.

•Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage in the event of a power outage. Ensure the proper generator is selected and installed by a qualified electrician. When operating a generator, the power coming into the home should always be disconnected. Otherwise, power from the generator could be sent back onto the utility lines, creating a hazardous situation for utility workers.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
TOP STORIES
  • school.jpg Wilmington board debates ‘free expression’

    Wilmington Area school directors weighed student safety concerns against free speech rights Monday. A proposed policy on student free expression and posting of materials drew concern from one board member.

    April 23, 2014 1 Photo

  • meehan.jpg Meehan named Neshannock superintendent

    Terence P. Meehan is the new superintendent at Neshannock Township School District. Board members voted 5-4 last night to fill the post that will be vacated June 30 with the retirement of Dr. Mary Todora.

    April 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • fire.jpg Fire guts Union Township house

    The state police fire marshal is investigating a fire in that broke out in a vacant Union Township house Monday. Union Township firefighters responded at 3 a.m. to 314 Smithfield St.

    April 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • 08.jpg Photo Gallery, Story: Community Easter morning service

    There’s a reason why most holidays last only 24 hours. It’s because when you’re finished celebrating, there’s still work to be done. The Rev. David Young reminded everyone who attended Sunday’s community Easter morning service at Lawrence Village Plaza of that.

    April 21, 2014 1 Photo 1 Slideshow

  • money.jpg Retirements, attrition to save district money

    A slew of retirements in the New Castle School District may result in savings in the 2014-15  budget. The school district plans to introduce its spending plan next month.

    April 20, 2014 1 Photo

  • Fletch1.jpg No Retreat: Teacher’s golden retriever proves to be a hero, fighter

    It was last fall, and my favorite time of the year to be in the woods hunting. On this day, I could hunt small game and turkey, though my primary purpose was a hike in the woods with my dog, Maggie. This year was special. I also had my five-month-old golden retriever, Remi.

    April 19, 2014 2 Photos

  • fire.jpg Firefighters respond to gas leak

    New Castle firefighters responded to a gas leak Friday at the former Lincoln-Garfield school on Long Avenue. Assistant Fire Chief Mike Petrone said Columbia Gas received a call from someone in the 800 block of South Mercer Street about the smell of gas Friday morning.

    April 18, 2014 1 Photo

  • ATV.jpg City residents register complaints about ATVs

    Some North Hill residents expressed annoyance and frustration over youngsters recklessly operating all-terrain vehicles through their neighborhoods.

    April 18, 2014 1 Photo

  • Barletto.jpg Emotional Closure: Woman sentenced in Jerry McCarthy’s death

    The driver of the car that killed a Shenango Township policeman is heading to prison. Kylee Gwen Barletto, 26, apologized Wednesday to the family of William J. “Jerry” McCarthy and to her family after pleading guilty to eight of 16 charges against her.

    April 17, 2014 2 Photos

  • fire.jpg Fire marshal probes cause of blaze

    A city police fire marshal said he hasn’t ruled yet on a blaze that ravaged two Taylor Street houses. Chris Fabian, who was at the fire scene for the duration Monday morning, said the blaze that displaced three families started in the back of a yellow, two-story duplex at 602 Taylor St.

    April 16, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Poll

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed “unprecedented” legislation yesterday to expand gun rights in his state. Good idea?

Yes. Expanding the scope of where people can carry guns can help halt violent crimes and make those places safer.
No. Carrying guns into bars and schools is NEVER a good idea. I think it will lead to more violence.
Not sure, but I don’t plan to visit Georgia any time soon.
     View Results