New Castle News

July 12, 2013

Storm Aftermath: New Castle mayor declares disaster emergency

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — New Castle Mayor Anthony Mastrangelo issued a declaration of disaster emergency to seek relief from damage caused by Wednesday’s storm.

The mayor said Thursday the proclamation is the first step he had to take for the city to receive any state or federal assistance.

Noting he is working with the fire department, Mastrangelo said he would learn more details Friday as to what New Castle needs to document to qualify for aid and the type of assistance the city can obtain.

Mastrangelo explained he would try to obtain money for streets that had been damaged and to cover overtime by city employees who were called out Wednesday night to deal with fallen trees, flooded streets and debris on roads.

Mike Rooney, the city’s public works director, said some of the streets are so bad they will have to be resurfaced. Patching will be of little or no benefit, he said.

Another matter to be explored is whether city residents can be helped through the emergency declaration, Mastrangelo said.

The mayor noted the city received 49 calls from residents who had water in their basements. The city doesn’t have the capability to help them, he added.

In his proclamation, the mayor authorized officials to meet the current demands of the emergency, namely by the employment of temporary workers, by the rental of equipment and purchase of supplies and materials and entering contracts and agreements without going through the normal procedures required by law.