New Castle News

TOP STORIES

May 7, 2014

New Castle teacher bidding to start

NEW CASTLE — All elementary teachers in the New Castle district will have to bid on their jobs for next school year.

Superintendent John J. Sarandrea told the board at its work session Monday that the jobs will be posted and bidding will take place at 4 p.m. Friday in the cafeteria of the Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center.

“Then we will know who will be where,” he said.

The bidding is going on because some teaching positions are being eliminated by the closing of three elementary schools at the end of this year.

Students and teachers in grades one and two are moving into the newly renovated Lockley building and those in third grade will go to the George Washington Intermediate Elementary School.

The schools to be closed are West Side, Thaddeus Stevens and John F. Kennedy primary centers.

Sarandrea said Tuesday that 121 professional positions will be posted for bidding: kindergarten through sixth grade teachers, special education staff, nurses and literacy coaches.

All the positions and bidders are in the New Castle Federation of Teachers bargaining unit.

Districtwide, 24 positions will be eliminated, Sarandrea said. They are eight elementary teacher jobs, four high school teaching posts eliminated because of retirements, a buildings and grounds administrator position vacated with the retirement of Paul Fulena, seven custodial slots and four secretary jobs.

Sarandrea said that once the elementary bidding process is done, a session will be set up for bidding for certain positions available in the junior/senior high school, because of retirements.

At the end of May after the bidding, the district will discuss “checkerboarding.” That involves moving around as many professionals with more than one certification into positions as possible, in order to reduce the number of lay-offs to as few as possible, Sarandrea explained.

Some elementary teachers with multiple certifications could move into high school positions, he noted.

The district recently approved retirements of 11 people in teaching positions.

Sarandrea said the potential position of assistant superintendent has been posted for eligible employees. The position opening up will be that of Terence P. Meehan, who has accepted a superintendent’s job in the Neshannock school district.

However, Meehan has not yet resigned from his post at New Castle, where he is in charge of curriculum.

Sarandrea said the district intends to hire someone to replace Meehan, as well as a person who will fill the needs of a second assistant to the superintendent and information technology director.

The second assistant to the superintendent position has been vacant since Stanley Magusiak was promoted from it to acting superintendent last year, then retired.

The district recently accepted the retirement of Beth Barber, its information technology director. Sarandrea indicated the two positions would be combined.

(Email: dwachter@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
TOP STORIES
  • Shooting.jpg Detroit area man dies in Ellwood City gunfire

    A triple shooting in an Ellwood City street has claimed the life of a Detroit area man. Gunfire erupted in the middle of Loop Street outside the Walnut Ridge housing project around 10:20 p.m. Sunday, according to state police.

    July 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • Baptism1.jpg Dipped downtown

    John the Baptist identified himself as “the voice of one crying in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord.’ ” On Saturday, local evangelist Randy Crum once again took a cue from the son of Elizabeth and Zechariah, eschewing the locusts and honey that John was known to munch on but heading out into the wilds to baptize believers and challenge them to share their faith with their community.

    July 21, 2014 3 Photos

  • lamancusa.jpg Tanner, district attorney: No comment

    The Lawrence County District Attorney is keeping mum about a probe into finances in Shenango Township. “We don’t talk about ongoing investigations,” Lamancusa said Friday.

    July 19, 2014 1 Photo 5 Stories

  • Shenango1.jpg Shenango Township: Supervisors fire Tanner, release DeLorenzo

    The Shenango supervisors fired township secretary/treasurer Brian Tanner and terminated auditor and consultant Deno DeLorenzo last night.

    July 18, 2014 3 Photos 4 Stories

  • gavel.jpg Shenango to take action on Tanner, DeLorenzo

    Shenango’s supervisors will act Thursday night on the employment contracts of two men being investigated for possible theft of township funds.

    July 17, 2014 1 Photo 4 Stories

  • money.jpg Shenango computers, financial papers seized

    Investigators have seized computers and a host of financial paperwork from the Shenango Township Municipal Building.

    July 16, 2014 1 Photo 3 Stories

  • money.jpg Second warrant issued in Shenango Township finances probe

    The home office of Shenango Township’s secretary/treasurer is the subject of a search warrant. A warrant was approved allowing investigators from the Lawrence County district attorney’s office to search Brian Tanner’s home office at 658 Melody Lane Extension in Shenango and seize all computers and computer records.

    July 15, 2014 1 Photo 2 Stories

  • Our Opinion: Who’s watching the money in Shenango Township?

    The Shenango Township supervisors have some explaining to do. And that’s putting it mildly.

    July 15, 2014 1 Story

  • Shenango places Tanner on leave, schedules meeting

    The Shenango Township supervisors have placed their secretary/treasurer on leave. In a statement faxed late Monday afternoon to the New Castle News, the supervisors said Brian Tanner had been placed on “administrative leave” as the result of a search warrant served on the township municipal building Friday.

    July 15, 2014

  • DROWN.jpg Local teen drowns in Slippery Rock Creek

    Divers from several fire departments responded yesterday to a drowning in the Kennedy Mill area of Slippery Rock Creek. Reports from the scene indicated that two teenage males from the Ellwood-Wampum area had gone swimming in the creek, and that one had gone under and not resurfaced.

    July 14, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Poll

Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 fell from the sky in Donetsk, Ukraine, on Thursday, killing all 298 people aboard. Many are speculating that Russian rebels (supported by Vladimir Putin) are responsible for downing the aircraft. What do you think?

Yes. All evidence points that way.
No. Everyone is so quick to point fingers, but there's not enough evidence to support claims of Russian guilt.
I'm not sure. I'll just wait until the investigation is over to make up my mind.
What is up with these Malaysian Airlines planes? I know one airline I won't be flying any time soon...
     View Results