New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
What life lessons did you have to experience firsthand before you fully understood them?
I could easily make a list of the lessons life has taught me. But hey, why just say it when I can do it?! I could probably get to 100, but I know by 20 you'll be sucked into that car ad at the side of the page, so I'll do us both a favor and stop there.
I was actually going in a different direction when I started this blog, but now I can't resist. Once again, I remind myself of a monkey spying something shiny. So here goes:
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good. ("Fair" is where you get cotton candy. My kids hate it when I say this one.)
2. Hatred will eat you alive from the inside out, and the person or thing you're hating isn't affected by it at all.
3. Speaking of eating ... don't eat your feelings.
4. Make peace with your past, or you'll be stuck there forever.
5. Don't try to be perfect in front of your kids. Trust me, they appreciate knowing that you're human.
6. When you honestly realize that someone doesn't love you, stop making excuses for them. Run. Run fast and run far.
7. Never, ever, ever take "no" for an answer the first time.
8. Speaking of eating again, use the good dinnerware and cook the fancy dinners for your own family. Why are guests more important than they are?
9. No matter how you feel, get out of bed, put your clothes on, and show up. (Don't forget the clothes part. It's pretty critical.)
10. Somebody, somewhere, will tell you that your writing/singing/opinions suck. Write/sing/think original thoughts anyway.
11. If you don't feel well, take a good, hard look at your grocery list.
12. Your definition of happiness is always going to be different from other people's. Never be ashamed of what makes you happy. (“Survivor” and brussels sprouts, anyone?)
13. And speaking of eating one more time, "Super size" is not as good of an idea as it sounds.
14. Proofread. Proofread until your mind stops making sense of what you're reading and it starts looking like Sanskrit. Then do the spell check and proofread it again.
15. You will not find that lost sock from the laundry until three days after you dispose of its mate.
16. Your dentist knows if you haven't been flossing. It's gross and smells bad and will make you bleed like an episode of “Dexter,” but it's better than ending up toothless, so do it.
17. Don't order steak at the Italian restaurant, or spaghetti at the steak house. Do I really need to explain this one???
18. Not being married is not a flaw. Some of us are perfectly happy on our own. Stop asking us to defend our position on this. (Same applies to our religion, our political beliefs, or our love of all things sparkly.)
19. Sometimes there are second chances. Sometimes there aren't.
20. If you're a blogger, and even if only three people in the world read your blog, if just one of those people says, "Hey, that really moved me/inspired me/made me think/made me laugh/entertained me for a nanosecond," then you are the most successful blogger in the world.