NEW CASTLE —
Laurel High’s Evan Long helped his team make history yesterday.
Long fired a 37 as the Spartans held on for a 201-205 WPIAL Section 5, Division 2 golf victory over Neshannock on the front nine at Castle Hills.
It marked the first time in school history Laurel (6-0 section, 7-0 overall) wrapped up the first half of section play undefeated. It’s also the second time in as many years the Spartans have knocked off Neshannock on the links.
“Neshannock is a powerhouse in our section,” Laurel coach Steve Skerbetz said. “It’s always special when we can get a win against them.
“We were nervous, but we finished strong. I’m proud of my kids. They played great golf against Neshannock.”
Nick Peluso posted a 39 for the Spartans. Tucker Skerbetz, the coach’s son, and Colton Brown both shot a 41 for the winners and Brady Crawford added a 43.
“It’s an exciting time for us,” Steve Skerbetz said. “We’ve never been here. We’ll enjoy the ride.”
Chris Egbert notched a 39 for Neshannock (5-2, 5-3), followed by Marissa Kirkwood and Mike Rozzi each with a 40. Carmen Oliva shot a 41 and Grant Weaver supplied a 45.
Anthony paces ’Hounds
Nate Anthony notched an 87 to lead Wilmington to a fifth-place finish at the District 10, Region 2-AA mega match at Shenango Lake.
The Greyhounds posted a team score of 397 in the 18-hole five-team event. Hickory placed first with a 329 and West Middlesex was second with a 352.
Collin Duffy tallied a 93 for Wilmington and Matt Zimmer shot a 99. Zeb Horchler was next with a 118.
The Lady Greyhounds came up a bit short in a District 10, Region 1-AA road loss to Greenville.
Alanna Elliott (No. 1) and Nikki McCown picked up singles wins for Wilmington (4-2, 4-2).
Following are the results:
Greenville 3, Wilmington 2
1. Alanna Elliott (W) def. Amanda Dawgs 6-1, 6-2.
2. Cameron Leary (G) def. Alexis Donati 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).
3. Nikki McCown (W) def. Nikki Perry 6-2, 6-2.
1. Brooke Marini/Jessica Fenton (G) def. Lydea Kraynak/Holly Vernon 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
2. Lauren Faber/Mady Gentile (G) def. Taylor Cox/Allyson Krupa 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
1. Lydea Zoeller/Chelsea Rogel (W) won 6-4.
2. Kaitlyn Meyer/Mackenzie Drottleff (W) won 6-3.
3. Emily Mayes (W) lost 6-3.
4. Marissa Litzenberg/Chelsea Rogel (W) won 6-2.
5. Hadley Fry/Mackenzie Drottleff (W) won 6-2.