New Castle News

Schools

August 23, 2013

New Castle Schools: District conducts hearings on tuition issue

NEW CASTLE — Parents of out-of-district students who attended city schools without paying tuition are having hearings this week.

New Castle Area School District superintendent John Sarandrea said Monday that the proceedings, called Loudermil hearings, are the employees’ due-process hearings and are held in private by the school board.

The parents who were indicated in a state Auditor General’s audit are employees of the school district. The district has refused to make their identities public.

Sarandrea said Monday that the district, following the hearings, will send statements of charges or what the board and its attorneys decide is fair and applicable to the parents who are deemed to be in violation.

Regarding any disciplinary measures they would have to face, Sarandrea commented, “They have union rights, too.”

That means the employees as members of a bargaining unit would be able to file grievances through the union, Sarandrea said.

The state audit released in June showed that seven non-resident students attended district schools but did not pay tuition over the course of four school years. The audit found the matter to have violated both the state Public School Code and the district’s own board policy.

As a result of the audit finding, the district must reimburse the state $110,664 that it had received as a state subsidy based on that number of non-paying out-of-district students attending a district during that time span.

The audit covered the period from Feb. 2, 2010, through Sept. 12, 2012. However, the auditors also looked at other school years regarding the noncompliance in state subsidies and reimbursements and included the years 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12 in its finding.

The report showed that at different times during those cited school years, seven children of district employees were actually enrolled as resident students when, in fact, they were not, according to a review of addresses on payroll records.

The auditors found that those students’ registration forms on file with the district showed their homes were within district boundaries.

Five of the forms showed the students lived in the district with their parents, while two students’ forms showed they lived with their grandparents.

The auditor general’s office had  provided the district a list of the parents and students in question before the audit was finalized, and the district has delayed its response to a request for information, asking for the document.

The New Castle News also had submitted a request for information, asking for the names. Based on advice from the district’s special counsel in Pittsburgh, the district denied that request.

The News has filed an appeal to the denial with the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records, and that is pending.

Since the auditor findings were released, rumors have circulated about the identities of the parents involved, but no concrete evidence of those has been provided by the district.

Sarandrea acknowledged there could be other families that are not included as part of the audit, and that it is his intent to investigate any and all claims it receives of any other parents.

A new district policy adopted this week, however, dictates that all complaints must be signed and may not be anonymous.

Meanwhile, the district could be subject to future findings by the auditor general if other names come to light during future audits of other years.

But the school board, meanwhile, is taking steps to close off the possibility of out-of-district students attending city schools without paying tuition.

At its regular meeting earlier this month, the board voted unanimously to impose more stringent guidelines in its enrollment policy.

The change stipulates that only the administrators at each school can register students and sign off on them, Sarandrea explained. Previously, the secretaries in the school system would accept registrations when the principals were too busy, he said.

“The flaw has not been in the policy,” Sarandrea said, “The flaw was in the way it was being delivered. Secretaries were enrolling students and not investigating.”

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Schools
  • Yauger.jpg Yauger’s Mercer County trial on hold

    A pending criminal trial for the former Midwestern Intermediate Unit IV executive director has been continued again in Mercer County.

    July 9, 2014 1 Photo

  • Yauger.jpg Yauger now facing federal charge

    With Mercer County court proceedings pending this week, Cecelia Yauger faces federal prosecution for alleged business credit card misuse.

    July 8, 2014 1 Photo

  • school.jpg New Castle board adopts budget despite uncertainty

    The New Castle school board adopted its 2014-15 budget Monday but may have to re-open it next week. The $5.4 million budget, introduced in May, has no tax increase and will not tap into the fund balance. Taxes remain at 17.72 mills.

    July 2, 2014 1 Photo

  • Todora.jpg Board, staff bids farewell to superintendent

    Dr. Mary Todora will retire Monday from the Neshannock school district. “I remember eight and a half years ago when Dr. John Dietz (then-board president) called to tell me I got the job. I was thrilled,” Todora said at her final board meeting.

    June 26, 2014 1 Photo

  • Rich.jpg Vo-tech administrators get bonuses, no raises

    Lawrence County Career and Technical Center administrators will get one-time bonuses instead of raises next year. The joint operating committee approved one-year agreements that would freeze the salaries of director Leonard A. Rich and the principal, head custodian, cafeteria supervisor and computer technician.

    June 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • FrankAloi.jpg Frank Aloi: 50 years of school spirit in Ellwood City

    Frank Aloi is a true Wolverine. Aloi, who turned 73 Friday, spent the past half-century affiliated with the Ellwood City school district and its sports teams.

    June 22, 2014 2 Photos

  • FrankAloi.JPG Frank Aloi Retiring: Ellwood superintendent leaving amid budget woes

    Frank Aloi is retiring next month as Ellwood City’s superintendent of schools. Aloi, a 50-year district employee and its superintendent for nearly 12, submitted his retirement notice to the board during an executive session prior to Thursday’s meeting. His last day is July 16.

    June 17, 2014 1 Photo

  • school.jpg District mulls building sale options

    The New Castle school district is considering selling its three recently closed buildings through a sealed bid process.

    June 11, 2014 1 Photo

  • Perfect.jpg Your Education: Shenango grad never missed a day

    They say nobody’s perfect. But for 13 years, Jenna DiGiammarino certainly was. When Jenna left last night’s commencement ceremonies at Shenango High School, she did so not only with a diploma in hand, but also with a flawless record of attendance dating back to Day One of kindergarten.

    June 7, 2014 1 Photo

  • 03.jpg Photo Gallery, Story: Three New Castle schools close today for good

    Today is bittersweet for New Castle Area School District elementary students and teachers. Three buildings packed with history as longtime learning institutions are closing their doors for good.
     

    June 5, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Poll

Have you held or will you hold a garage/yard sale this year?

I have and it was a success! It's a great way to get rid of some junk and make a little extra pocket money.
I have, but it didn't go over so well. Better luck next time?
I haven't yet, but I plan to.
I haven't and I don't plan to. It's not for me.
     View Results