NEW CASTLE —
So now what?
Last week’s vote by the New Castle school board to kill the Lockley school consolidation project — followed by the decision of superintendent George Gabriel to resign — leaves a lot of questions in the city school system.
And it leaves a fair amount of anger, frustration and confusion.
For a couple of years now, the district has been moving haltingly toward a major expansion and renovation of the Lockley elementary school. The project would coincide with the closing of other elementary schools in the district, essentially creating a single elementary facility in New Castle.
A key factor in this proposal is the deteriorating condition of the district’s elementary schools. Members of the administration have said that based on funding formulas and assorted expenses, it would be more cost effective over time to pursue new construction at Lockley and close the other schools than to make repairs and renovations.
But this plan never enjoyed unanimous public — or board — support. Considerable skepticism exists over the notion of building a new school in New Castle, where student population has experienced a long decline with no reversal of this trend in sight.
Plus, there are still residents who are unhappy with the decision to demolish and replace the old New Castle High School. The new structure is now running at about 60 percent of capacity, which adds to doubts about additional construction.
Final approval for the Lockley plan hit a snag when bids came in higher than anticipated. After the project was massaged a bit, a second round of bidding brought back numbers closer to the mark at roughly $23 million.
But this failed to impress a majority on the board. And by a 5-4 vote last week, the Lockley project was rejected.
In reaction to that — along with indications some board members were looking for a change at the top of the administration — Gabriel submitted a pre-written letter of resignation. Without fanfare, the same five members who shot down the Lockley plan accepted Gabriel’s departure, effective Jan. 31.
So is the Lockley project truly kaput? That’s difficult to say. While some board members have been adamantly opposed to it, others have been inconsistent. Maybe they’ll switch again. Maybe not.
What I do know is the Lockley opponents now constitute the majority on the school board. And they owe it to the public to explain where they stand and what’s going to happen now. They were oddly silent on these matters at least week’s meeting.
Whatever one thinks of this proposal, last week’s vote was a big deal on very serious and expensive matters. The district has spent about $1.5 million on architectural and other preparatory work leading up to the actual construction. The vote vaporizes this money.
What do taxpayers think about that?
Obviously, if the project was not to be pursued, this money never should have been spent. It represents poor planning and poor leadership.
Speaking of which, I think blame for the current mess can be spread around. Only token efforts were conducted by the administration and construction supporters to bring the public or the larger community into the fold. Five votes on the board were deemed to be sufficient.
So now we have a divided, angry board and a divided, angry public. And because matters pertaining to the New Castle school district are steadfastly avoided by other local officials and entities, I’m wondering where the leadership is going to come from to resolve this mess.
NEW CASTLE —
So now what?
New Castle Schools: Leave with pay was superintendent’s call
When a New Castle school district employee is placed on administrative leave, it typically is the superintendent’s decision. District solicitor Charles Sapienza said in an email last week that the district has no policy governing when and why an employee is placed on administrative leave or whether he or she should be paid during that leave.
Agreement allows nonresident students at Laurel
Five Laurel teachers who live outside the Laurel School District have enrolled their children in the district. They are taking advantage of a memorandum of agreement between the district and the Laurel Education Association that took effect at the beginning of the current school year.
Allegations result in principal on leave
New Castle Junior High School principal Robert Razzano is on administrative leave with pay. Meanwhile, New Castle police said they are investigating a reported incident at the junior high involving an employee.
Shenango board set to fill vacancy
The Shenango Area School Board is expected to appoint Dean Owrey on Monday to fill a vacancy on the board. Owrey, chief financial officer of the University of PittsburghMC’s information services division, was selected from among 16 people who expressed interest in the position.
Hearing set on school building’s future
A hearing Wednesday will determine the future of an abandoned school building. The Pulaski Township supervisors will meet at 7 p.m. at the municipal building to determine whether the former New Bedford school on Schoolhouse Road violates the township dangerous buildings ordinance.
School money split under scrutiny
Pennsylvania spreads $10 billion in education dollars using a ragged method that is prone to political influence, according to legislators and groups who are calling for reform.
In The Schools: New Castle staffers heading to San Diego
New Castle school district personnel are heading to California to continue improving their approach in teaching students to read. The school board Monday gave permission to George Washington Intermediate School principal Joseph Anderson, elementary principal Debra DeBlasio and district facilitators Shelly Bucci and Andrea Martin to attend the Success For All reading conference Feb. 5 to 9 in San Diego.
Arts academy to appeal after board says no to charter school
The New Castle Arts Academy Charter School plans to contest the New Castle school board’s denial of its charter. The board voted 9-0 Monday to reject the academy’s application to open an arts-infused charter school in the former Days Inn. The action came after a public hearing and public board discussion about the application.
Emergency substitute teacher course offered
Midwestern Intermediate Unit IV is offering a training program to qualify college graduates as emergency substitute teachers.
Photo Gallery, Story: Kindergartners have first day at new Lockley
Young eyes were wide with wonder. Four- and 5-year-olds bundled in winter coats, hats, scarves and mittens got off school buses Wednesday morning and walked single file into a brand new school.
- More Schools Headlines
- New Castle Schools: Leave with pay was superintendent’s call