New Castle News

Schools

December 11, 2012

New Castle schools: Superintendent search on hold until new year

NEW CASTLE — The New Castle Area School Board has decided to wait until January to begin its search for a new superintendent.

David DiGiammarino, unanimously elected as president at last week’s reorganizational meeting, suggested he would like to discuss how the board will proceed with the hiring at its public work session next month.

Superintendent George Gabriel announced his retirement during a special meeting Oct. 25, amid conflict over a school consolidation project.

His tenure with the district will end Jan. 31, according to a letter he gave the board that night.

Gabriel, who has been superintendent since January 2003, is receiving a salary of $142,000 this year. He has 42 years in education. His superintendent’s contract would have expired June 30.

The board has not addressed the hiring of a new superintendent since October.

At the board’s public work session Monday night, DiGiammarino looked to district solicitor Charles Sapienza for advice on how to proceed, asking whether the process needs to be done in public.

Sapienza said all the matters concerning the hiring — discussions on how the board will proceed, agreeing on a salary, how criteria and job candidates will be chosen and how interviews will be conducted — must be done in public meetings.

The individual interviews and names of the candidates should be done privately, in executive session, he said, commenting, “It should all be public except for the names.”

DiGiammarino asked the board members to send him emails regarding any ideas they have about how the hiring should transpire.

Board member Karen Humphrey pointed out that Midwestern Intermediate Unit IV has a process it follows to help school districts set up their search for a superintendent, including a list of criteria to follow in order to advertise the position.

“They have compiled a lot of data and information and they will tell us what is important,” she said.

The intermediate unit has assisted other school districts including screening the applicants and assisting with selecting finalists.

The Mohawk Area School Board took advantage of the IU IV’s services two years ago when it hired Kathleen Kwolek as its superintendent.

(Email: dwachter@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Schools
  • Yauger.jpg Yauger’s Mercer County trial on hold

    A pending criminal trial for the former Midwestern Intermediate Unit IV executive director has been continued again in Mercer County.

    July 9, 2014 1 Photo

  • Yauger.jpg Yauger now facing federal charge

    With Mercer County court proceedings pending this week, Cecelia Yauger faces federal prosecution for alleged business credit card misuse.

    July 8, 2014 1 Photo

  • school.jpg New Castle board adopts budget despite uncertainty

    The New Castle school board adopted its 2014-15 budget Monday but may have to re-open it next week. The $5.4 million budget, introduced in May, has no tax increase and will not tap into the fund balance. Taxes remain at 17.72 mills.

    July 2, 2014 1 Photo

  • Todora.jpg Board, staff bids farewell to superintendent

    Dr. Mary Todora will retire Monday from the Neshannock school district. “I remember eight and a half years ago when Dr. John Dietz (then-board president) called to tell me I got the job. I was thrilled,” Todora said at her final board meeting.

    June 26, 2014 1 Photo

  • Rich.jpg Vo-tech administrators get bonuses, no raises

    Lawrence County Career and Technical Center administrators will get one-time bonuses instead of raises next year. The joint operating committee approved one-year agreements that would freeze the salaries of director Leonard A. Rich and the principal, head custodian, cafeteria supervisor and computer technician.

    June 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • FrankAloi.jpg Frank Aloi: 50 years of school spirit in Ellwood City

    Frank Aloi is a true Wolverine. Aloi, who turned 73 Friday, spent the past half-century affiliated with the Ellwood City school district and its sports teams.

    June 22, 2014 2 Photos

  • FrankAloi.JPG Frank Aloi Retiring: Ellwood superintendent leaving amid budget woes

    Frank Aloi is retiring next month as Ellwood City’s superintendent of schools. Aloi, a 50-year district employee and its superintendent for nearly 12, submitted his retirement notice to the board during an executive session prior to Thursday’s meeting. His last day is July 16.

    June 17, 2014 1 Photo

  • school.jpg District mulls building sale options

    The New Castle school district is considering selling its three recently closed buildings through a sealed bid process.

    June 11, 2014 1 Photo

  • Perfect.jpg Your Education: Shenango grad never missed a day

    They say nobody’s perfect. But for 13 years, Jenna DiGiammarino certainly was. When Jenna left last night’s commencement ceremonies at Shenango High School, she did so not only with a diploma in hand, but also with a flawless record of attendance dating back to Day One of kindergarten.

    June 7, 2014 1 Photo

  • 03.jpg Photo Gallery, Story: Three New Castle schools close today for good

    Today is bittersweet for New Castle Area School District elementary students and teachers. Three buildings packed with history as longtime learning institutions are closing their doors for good.
     

    June 5, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Poll

Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 fell from the sky in Donetsk, Ukraine, on Thursday, killing all 298 people aboard. Many are speculating that Russian rebels (supported by Vladimir Putin) are responsible for downing the aircraft. What do you think?

Yes. All evidence points that way.
No. Everyone is so quick to point fingers, but there's not enough evidence to support claims of Russian guilt.
I'm not sure. I'll just wait until the investigation is over to make up my mind.
What is up with these Malaysian Airlines planes? I know one airline I won't be flying any time soon...
     View Results