New Castle News

March 22, 2013

Kitchen fire disrupts East Side couple’s sleep

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — A barking dog and blaring smoke detector roused an East Side couple early Wednesday morning.

New Castle firefighters arrived at 719 Cleveland Ave. about 1:30 a.m. to find a smoke-filled house and fire creeping up the wall behind the couple’s refrigerator and extending to the ceiling of their kitchen.

Homeowner Don Dambrosia told firefighters he had heard a buzzing earlier in the evening but didn’t give it much thought — until he was awakened by the dog and smoke detector.

The couple ran outside as fire crews laid a hose line. They later used a ventilator to clear smoke from the house.

Firefighters, who said they had noted heat damage to the refrigerator’s plug, are calling the fire electrical in nature. They estimated damage at $15,000 to the house and $5,000 to the contents. The couple was not displaced and firefighters sustained no injuries, officials said.

Firefighters remained at the scene for about an hour.