New Castle News

Police Reports

May 21, 2013

Cleaners cause fire in vacant Halco unit

NEW CASTLE — Lawrence County Housing Authority employees cleaning a vacant unit sparked a blaze Monday, according to city firefighters.

The fire just before noon in the Halco Drive apartment caused $10,000 damage to the kitchen, they said.

New Castle firefighters were called to 321 Halco and said two authority workers had been using kerosene to strip glue from tile on the kitchen floor. The kerosene ignited, burning the baseboard around the perimeter of the room and several cabinets.

The rag being used to spread the kerosene was found burning in the sink and doused by a fireman who turned on the water in the sink.

Firefighters said the blaze had just about burned itself out by the time they arrived. They remained until about 12:10 p.m.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
House Ads

The Steelers opened training camp this weekend. How do you see them faring this season?

Super Bowl
Division champs
Wild card team
Missing playoffs for a third straight year
     View Results