New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
A trash fire could have been the cause of a three-car garage fire Monday on McClain Road.
Fire Chief Paul Henry of the North Beaver Township Volunteer Fire Department said firemen were called to Highland Meadows Farm in the 500 block of McClain Road at 9:05 p.m. They remained until about midnight.
Henry said he believes the owners, Brad and Debra White, had burned papers on the property earlier in the day, then went out for the evening.
“I think embers from the fire caught some brush on fire. The brush burned the deck of the garage and that burned down the garage,” he said.
The garage, a vehicle inside it, an apartment over the garage were destroyed.
Heat from the fire also damaged the adjacent house and a propane tank and several oxygen bottles used in scuba diving exploded.
One bottle flew from the garage about 100 feet into the yard when it blew up, Henry said.
The garage also contained scuba gear, lawn mowers, a motorcycle, several snowmobiles, a golf cart and various tools, all of which were destroyed. The apartment above the garage was vacant, he said.
He estimated damages in excess of $200,000.
The chief added the garage was nearly a mile from the main road, and water had to be trucked there via tankers. Some water was obtained from nearby SNPJ Borough, Henry said.
The volunteer fire departments of Bessemer, Wampum, New Beaver, Enon Valley and Springfield Township in Ohio provided mutual aid. Noga Ambulance also was at the scene.
Henry said more than 50 firefighters turned out. No injuries were reported.
The property is a horse farm. The horses are kept in an area near the main road, almost a mile from the fire, and were safe, he said.