New Castle News

Police Reports

February 28, 2014

Fire destroys Ellport residence

NEW CASTLE — A fire destroyed a house in Ellport Thursday night.

The family and pets occupying the dwelling at 115 Martin Ave. was able to get out of the house without incident, according to Perry Township Fire Chief Mark McDevitt.

Scott Marshall, the owner and a former firefighter, told the New Castle News that his wife had heard crackling in the chimney and, upon investigating, he saw it was on fire.

Marshall, his wife, son and two pets were in the house at the time.

Firefighters received the call around 8:30 p.m. and were at the scene until 11:15 p.m.

McDevitt said it appears the fire began in the chimney and spread to the attic. Noting the roof is gone as a result of the blaze, McDevitt listed the structure as a total loss.

Volunteer fire departments assisting Perry were Ellwood City, Wayne Township, Chewton and Franklin Township, Beaver County.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
House Ads
Poll

On Wednesday, the House of Representatives voted to authorize Speaker John Boehner to sue President Obama for allegedly overstepping his legal authority with the way he's handled Obamacare. Good call?

Yes. Obama's been overstepping his authority since day one in office. It's time he pay the piper.
No. The allegations are ridiculous and the law suit is a waste of time and tax payer money.
I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of Obama, but the suit seems a little extreme.
     View Results